Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulreddahlias

Beautiful Foxglove Plant

I had to share this pic of a new foxglove I bought this year. I bought it at a nursery that had bred it themselves. I din't expect it to bloom this year but low and behold I went outside to collect seeds yesterday and It had blooms on it! It is the most beautiful foxglove I've ever seen! I am going to have to call the nursery next spring to find out which cultivators they used in breeding this plant.

Comments (9)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Wow, that is stunning! Don't expect the plants you grow from collected seed to all look like that. Hybrid seeds will show many different traits from all the previous parent plants. It would be exciting to experiment with these seeds, though, and see what you get!

• coolplantsguy
    10 years ago

This is the new Digiplexis (Digitalis ÃÂ Isoplexis) hybrid. The first variety is called Illumination or perhaps Illumination Flame. In any case, it is sterile so no seed will be produced. And also supposedly hardy to to only zone 7 or 8.

• beautifulreddahlias
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! It came with no info when I bought it. I live in zone 6 so I'll have to dig it up and hope it survives the winter in my house!! I don't want to loose it, it's too pretty!

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    10 years ago

Nice find!!!

They must have gotten plugs from Thompsons & Morgan in the EU. I have been trying to hunt down a place in the US that has them.. but haven't found anything

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

When I first saw the photo, the thought that flashed through my mind was that it had an Isoplexis-shaped flower. Thank you for the Digiplexis info; I'll be on the lookout for these. San Marcos Growers lists it under Digitalis 'Illumination Flame', so I didn't pick up on it being Isoplexis related.

Pretty flower. I wonder if the plant would rebloom for a few years in my area. Even some biennial foxgloves have made the effort.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Really nice, I've never heard of these. Is it long blooming? The mix of colors in the bloom is great and I'm a sucker for anything spiky flowering.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I thought all foxgloves were biannual s. I have never tried to grow them because of that. If I'm wrong, I'll try them. Do they re-seed?

• kimka
    10 years ago

Some foxglove hybrids like the Camelot series bloom the first year from seed. But they do not reseed. Foxgloves take a couple of years of planting to get going. But after that with reseeding, the biennial nature evens out .

• kimka
    10 years ago

Some foxglove hybrids like the Camelot series bloom the first year from seed. But they do not reseed. Foxgloves take a couple of years of planting to get going. But after that with reseeding, the biennial nature evens out .