Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danajean37

When to plant perennials?

Danajean37
11 years ago

When is the best time of year to plant perennials in Zone 6? I am interested in planting hostas and borders (Plumbago and/or Lamium). Also, looking for overwintering tips!!

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

same answer i gave you i the hosta forum.. to wit:

you plant them.. right after you find them .. but for say the high heat of summer ... [and even that with supreme aftercare]

so.. whether you want to do it now or not.. the question is.. can you get your hands on them now???

can you say .. mail order.. lol ..

ken

• mistascott
    11 years ago

Early spring after the last frost and early fall after the summer heat lets up are probably the two best times. You want the plant to establish before frost in fall and before the heat arrives in spring.

Best overwintering tip: wet winters can harm a plant's chance of surviving winter, so avoid heavy mulching in fall and be sure your soil drains well.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

If by plumbago you mean Ceratostigma plumbaginoides--Leadwort, it doesn't establish well at all with fall planting. Plant that one in spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

this is outside my zone.. so i am not arguing with the replies.. i am asking a question..

soooo .. are both of you saying that if you found a fall bargain plant.. you would skip it because it has absolutely no chance of success ????

i am thinking OP has a bead on something locally .. and you are making it sounds like even the bargain will be a total waste of money????

but i am also reading into the replies.. if you are thinking of mail order.. plan for spring ...

ken

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

mistascott wrote:

Best overwintering tip: wet winters can harm a plant's chance of surviving winter, so avoid heavy mulching in fall and be sure your soil drains well.

And yet one often hears that lots of quality mulch can help a plant overwinter successfully. It is conflicting instructions like these that make gardening a....challenge ;).

If one hold off spreading around the base of perennial plants readily available fallen leaves until the top few inches of the ground is frozen then maybe that reduces the problem of sogging out the roots?

• mistascott
    11 years ago

Ken, I plant things at the "wrong" time all the time but I also baby my plants more than most so my survival chances are higher. I have lost my share planting in the heat of summer. The OP asked for the "best" time to plant; that doesn't mean you are forbidden to plant at other times, just that your chances of success decrease somewhat.

rouge21: According to Tracy DiSabato-Aust (perennials guru), there really isn't a need to add new mulch in fall unless you have newly planted perennials or marginally hardy ones. In that case, adding 3-4 inches around the base after the ground freezes will be helpful to protect them. Otherwise the 2 inches or so of spring mulch should be sufficient to control winter temperature fluctuations (that cause heaving) without trapping too much moisture in the soil. Winter moisture is the enemy of perennials much more so then cold temperatures. In warm winter areas where the soil doesn't freeze deeply or for extended periods is where heavy winter mulching can spell death for perennials.

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

This will be my first year overwintering perennials, I have only dealt with shrubs before, but thought it was interesting that Bluestone Perennials states in their literature that they do not use any mulch at all in their clay soil (they are in Ohio I believe). I, in clay soil central PA, am choosing to mulch about an inch or two, but taking care not to put it against the crown. I have also attempted to dig larger holes than neededed and backfill with compost/native soil/garden soil and place the plant slightly above grade. I hope this means if water will sit in the holes, it will below the roots of the plant and by the time the plants roots are that long, they will be large enough that they can survive some of these conditions.

And yes, I am still planting when I come across deals as I feel it is the best way to experiment. For example, why spend $10 on a plant that will take more winter effort than I am willing to put in if I can learn that on the discounted $2 version. I have also picked up multiples of the same plant in order to plant them in different conditions (less mulch, more mulch, one spot or another, ex) to learn what works best for my area.

I guess I will find out in spring how well it worked.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Here in the PNW fall is better than spring. Better weather for the gardener and warmer soil temps for the plants.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

I am in north of Chicago so it is colder here. I do most of my new planting, dividing, moving of perennials in early to mid September. For several years, I also put new divisions of the plants in my IL house to our 2nd house in Michigan (also zone 5a). Except 1 shasta daisy, I have not had any plants die on me. For me, September is the best time to plant. Only need to water a few times, then plant settles in for the winter. I do not do any extra mulching or winterizing.

Hostas are amazingly easy and robust plants. I planted a couple hostas my neighbor gave me as divisions mid of October last year, watered it once, then rabbits ate the leaves a few days later. But they came out this year as nice and big hostas.

So plant them now in your zone. put regular amount of mulch. You will be fine.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County