Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Ah, rain finally!

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

Just makes me want to go out there naked and do a happy rain dance.

I have so much dividing and transplanting I want to do but kept waiting for a real soaking rainfall to get started. So - this next week I plan to be real busy. (with my clothes on.)

Comments (4)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

We've had torrential downpours the last week and a half - not all-day rains but pounders. This has been a good year in terms of moisture where I'm at, I've barely had to run the sprinklers and stuff has looked lush and green all season, whereas the past handful of years it's all a crispy mess come August.

These fall rains are great for plant growth, so yea it's a good thing - although I know some parts of the country are getting soaked with floods.

The landscapers graded and put down grass seed in a long, wide access path that they tore up with the machines and around the edging they installed but they didn't put straw down over it - now DH has to re-do it because of the pounding rain. He's not too happy about that. Oh well - the grass is his thing, not mine :0)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

It finally rained last night too. I was so excited, I woke up around 3 am and went out to the porch to watch the event - just a steady, soaking rain - no storminess at all. The last time we had any measurable rainfall was sometime around Aug 6, so this was very welcomed. Finally a day where I don't have to water.

I'm going to give everything a day to rehydrate and then the final moving and dividing of the season commences.

Kevin

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Gardening isn't for wussies. It's been heavy rain here non-stop all season, to the point that after years of waiting, back in July I finally called my son and told him to come fix my leaky gutter NOW before the window frame rotted out!! My cellar has been flooded since May but he fixed the gutter so at least it hasn't been inundated since. I haven't even checked my rain gauge--it's been full since May. Numbers won't make it less.

Flash flood warnings have been frequent all season. I don't live near any large rivers but have seen the damage that extreme precipitation can wreak on my town. Not too long ago every road in town was closed due to storm damage & power was knocked out for 12 days.

Ginormous weeds have come up through more than a foot of mulch spread over two layers of corrugated cardboard. Hostas that normally grow to a modest size were twice that size this year and easily crowded other shade lovers growing in the same bed. So far there don't appear to be a significant number of casualties.

Those of you who're wishing for more rain, be careful what you wish for. The garden fairy just might grant your wish.

• jadeite
    10 years ago

gardenweed - I'm one of those who wished for rain. We've been hit by the same storms that have deluged Colorado, though not to the same extent. We had 2" of rain since yesterday, most of it falling overnight. We live in a desert, with average annual rainfall normally below 10" a year. This past week it's been pouring. Our water storage tanks have been overflowing, even with the pumps running nonstop to try to keep the level down.

As a result of the abnormal rain, everything has turned green instead of the normal drab dusty brown. I discovered that the open space, normally a barren area of cactus, rock and sage, is actually a prairie! Native grasses (little bluestem, sideoats, Indian rice) are sprouting everywhere. The rabbits are in heaven. I spent most of today digging out the silverleaf nightshade which I only discovered this week is a very poisonous invasive weed. But I'm so happy for the rain I don't care about the weeds.

Cheryl

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!