Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dicentra eximia

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls MN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 9:54

Does this one self sow for you? In all the years I've grown it, I've never found a stray seedling. My Dicentra spectabilis is almost weed-like in the number of seedling that appear each spring - all over the garden - ,but eximia doesn't appear to do this.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dicentra eximia

I may remember wrong, but I think both species are selfsterile(can't pollinate itself), so you have to have at least two different clones to get seed. The seed of D.Spectabilis is a favourite seed to be spread around by ants. In my case all the seed ended up in my green house for some reason.

o

Mine self-seeds prolifically. Happily, it's easy to rip out or I would be totally overrun. It's the main plant that has seeded itself into a rock wall. I started from just one plant that I got at a swap, and now have more than I want. I even found a white one this year for the first time.

I had D. spectabilis in another garden (not great soil) where it self-sowed some, but nothing like what D eximia is doing in this current garden. It doesn't seem to sow into the adjacent lawn, for which I am grateful since some of my other more prolific perennials do.

From June 2010

o

Are you sure these are not runners?

o

Dicentra formosa self seeds for me, almost weedy but none of my other Dicentras ( I have many) seed at all.

o

@ wieslaw - Mine are definitely not runners. They set seeds and the seeds sprout.

o

My understanding is the same as Wieslaw's - that Dicentra eximia is not self-compatible. I have only one specimen, that I've divided and moved several times, and have never seen a seedling.

My Dicentra spectablis is a different story - I had only one large specimen and it did make a seedling a few years back which is now a good sized plant that has different characteristics from the mother. Not sure what's up with that.

o

This is very interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I've done some more research and still haven't found any mention of this problem with eximia. There are a number of hybrids that aren't fertile, but that's about all I could find.

Kevin

o

Mine seeds, though not prolifically.

o

@ aachenelf 'still haven't found any mention of this problem '.
Don't consider it a problem. It may be a blessing in many cases. There are actually a lot of plants which cannot be fertilized with their own pollen. Just to mention a few: many cultivars of apple trees, pears, cherries, Lythrum salicaria, some lilies, blueberries, and many more. That's why you have to have at least 2 different trees to get fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here