Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

So how many have B. grandis or B. sutherlandii blooming?

dbarron
9 years ago

It always amazes me how few people grow these plants when they're undemanding shade plants with attractive leaves and quite impressive fall flowering.
Of course, I guess the stigmata of growing something that looks like your grandma's angelwing begonia, might be hard to live with :)
Myself, I hope to accquire some B. sutherlandii next year to add orange to the shady spots.

Comments (5)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Mine is blooming now--a bright spot in my rain-starved, ratty-looking fall garden.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I don't grow them. I have very little shady area in my garden now that we lost a large street tree from the front of my house. :-(

My Colchicum was pushing through this weekwend. It will make a big show for the next month. Sedum 'Autumn Joy' is in its pink glory. Those and Aster, Geranium Rozanne, Miscanthus 'Morning Light', Hosta June, Halcyon, Blue Angel, Kossa Regal and Blue Mouse Ear are the only things that don't look ratty and tired like the rest in my garden right now.

• catkin
    9 years ago

I had some for years--even a couple of volunteers but last Winter they croaked--not a smidgeon to be seen.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

B. grandis lasted a couple of years for me, but apparently even moderate winter cold here was too much for it.

Very nice plant though for a mostly shady border.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I accquired it when I was in college (way back in the 80s) and know I transplanted some to my new home back umm say fifteen years ago. It since died out at parents house (but then it was untended and unwatered).
    It seems pretty reliable here, though I have seen a late frost kill the tops once or twice (but it does resprout at ground level).