Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veronica Sunny Border Blue - still a keeper

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 10:02

This plant has come up in a few past threads with quite a few negative comments, but I really can't say I've had any problems with it. In fact, it's probably one of my most carefree, almost constant bloomers. What I really love about it thought, is that it has some height without the problems of flopping.

This one has been in bloom since July and although this last flush of flowers isn't the best, it's still presentable IMO. Our season is definitely winding down with night temps in the 40's now, so I'm kind of surprised it still looks as good as it does.

Does anyone else still like this one?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veronica Sunny Border Blue - still a keeper

Kevin, that does look very nice. And I wouldn't have guessed that the above picture was for a last flush of flowers...good enough for me as a first go!

Can you compare and contrast it with Veronica "Royal Candles"?

o

rouge

Here's Royal Candles today - not a very good photo.

I would say RC is around 9 inches tall and SBB is currently around 15 inches tall, but during the summer at its peak, it probably grows to about 18 inches tall which is something I like.

Kevin

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 22:43

I have to admit your SBB is a very nice specimen. Unfortunately, my experience with this plant has been quite the opposite.

o

Blue borders does great in my garden too. It is a bee magnet and is still developing new flower stems this late in the season.

o

If mine looked like yours, I wouldn't have pulled it up! Especially because IIRC the bumblebees loved it. It bloomed great the first year and after that got less vigorous until it was stunted and ugly.

o

I'm thinking of getting these this year. I'm trying to create a bee garden, and every year I see these and want them and never get them. I tried I think it was called "Icicle" veronica and it got really nasty looking. There wasn't much sign of life, so we got rid of it. We are going to put some clay breaker down because there is some clay in that area. Hopefully that will help some of the drainage.

o

"Icicle" is still on my evaluation list. I've had it for a couple of years and like it, but it has a tendency to flop terribly for me from the center outwards. It also hasn't been a very good rebloomer after the first flush of flowers. I'm going to try pinching it back earlier in the season this year to see if I can reduce it's height a bit and hopefully control the flopping.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here