Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants over peonies

Posted by alicate SW Michigan zone (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 10:04

I have four peonies in my garden bed all pretty much near each other. They bloom nicely and then the foliage just stays there. I am wondering if I can interplant either Russian Sage or tall asters between the peonies so that they would grow up through and cover the old foliage. Am I making sense about that? I hope.

My asters do that in my part sun garden and it never seems to kill the spring blooming plants that it covers. I am wondering if I am making a mistake to try this. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants over peonies

I would go with the Asters as the Rus. Sage will soon smother them. Will not hurt the Peony plants at all to mix the asters in.

o

If the peonies are established clumps of a good size, in my experience they will withstand any attempt at encroachment by other plants. So you can plant other, later blooming things next to them. The peonies have nice dark green foliage to act as a foil for the blooming plants. My peony clumps have a number of companions rubbing shoulders with them, particularly asters, purple coneflowers, daisies, hardy hibiscuses and 'Pink Beauty' potentilla shrubs.

o

I think it could work if you have at least a foot or two of space in-between the peonies. You could also plant late rising plants like Eupatorium 'Chocolate' and balloon flowers in front of the peony. Those perennials would stay short while the peony is in bloom in spring and by summer grow up to partially hide it.
CMK

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 15:04

I treat peony foliage as architectural - it's very nice in and of itself, stands on its own merit and makes a lovely deep green backdrop for other plants. So I agree with planting things around them so blooms/foliage can play off each other, but wouldn't want to smother/hide them with other plants.

o

If you mean literally 'cover the old foliage' then I would advise against . No plant actually likes to be 'covered' by something, unless it is dormant at the time of covering. They have to build carbohydrates for the next year growth. They can't do it without light.

o

I know this is a perennial forum but... This year I sprinkled Zinnia seeds behind the peonies it looks good they are growing up into the bush and it looks like the bush is blooming again.

I planted Giant Zinnas from Burpee.

o

Russian Sage would work. It's a plant that would let light through. It's not a very thick plant and can be pruned as needed. If you're worried about the Russian Sage getting too tall, try the cultivar "Lacey Blue." I plant Russian Sage with Baptisias and Roses. Neither of those has suffered any. I'm sure a Peony can tolerate its presence.

o

mx gave teh answer ....

plant taller things behind .. shorter things in front.. and give them enough room.. that you are not digging in the peony roots ...

if you damage the large sweet potato roots structure of the peony.. it will take a long time to recover .. if at all ... i would not dig within 12 to 18 inches of the peony ...

mine.. by late summer.. they are covered with morning glory that is supposed to grow up the fence 2 feet behind.. by then.. energy storage is completed ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here