Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Waldsteinia ternata or fragarioides?

atmoscat
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I'd like to plant some waldsteinia as a ground cover with hydrangea serrata in a part sun/part shade bed beneath an ornamental tree. I've seen both waldsteinia ternata and fragarioides, but they look different in different pictures and I can't really tell the difference between them. Some pictures show a fuller, buttercup like flower, in others the petals are narrower. Is one the fuller flower and the other the narrower? Can anyone describe the differences between them? I would prefer the fuller flower type. Are there other characteristics that might make one better than the other (better foliage, faster spreading but not invasive, etc.)?

In the pictures below, the first is labeled fragarioides and has the star-shaped flowers. The second is also labeled fragarioides but has the more rounded flowers. The third is labeled ternata. Is the one in the middle really ternata mislabeled as fragarioides? TIA!

Comments (9)

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I have only grown Waldsteinia ternata which was a 'mare to establish and eventually gave up the ghost.....but I have noticed that the ternata style seems to be used fairly interchangeably (in catalogues) in place of the smaller, tormentil type flowers of fragariodes....so I would say go for the ternata because that is what you will likely get anyway.

I suspect that it is one of those plants which can be tricksy to get established (like japanese anemones) but when they successfully get their roots down they are then trouble-free. Suspect they also prefer a less alkaline soil than mine.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Campanula, thanks so much for your helpful feedback. Yes, hopefully if I order ternata I will actually get ternata. Good to know about getting it established. Will bear that in mind and maybe try a few different spots in case it doesn't like one. My soil is pretty acidic New England soil, so maybe that will help. Thanks!!

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

I just planted W. ternata myself under a new dogwood we put in. Wasn't aware that it was tricky to establish...and my soil tends to be quite alkaline as well. I am hopeful it settles in and decides to make a home under the tree, because I quite like the look. Thanks for the tip--I'll try to give it a little extra TLC.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I should say that my elderly collie used to nose around mine - it often looked a bit tatty....but I suspect the huge honeysuckle also nabbed any spare water so I would try to make sure it gets supplemental watering for the first month or so.

mine had a long drawn out death - it kept staggering back from the brink with just a couple of leaves left whereupon I would coddle it....then it would shrivel away and I would give up....then a couple of months later, the odd leaf would reappear....and this went on for 2 years....(I remember moaning on this forum about it).

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

in our region W ternata is a very resilient, almost thuggish groundcover, spreading by rhizomes and running over slower perennials.

I only know the other W geoides, a clumping, slightly higher and tamer species, not sure whether a synonym or different species.

Both grow from full sun (flowering nicely) to shade, and ternata produces shiny, neat dense carpets of foliage.

Good luck, bye, Lin

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Well, thank you Lin - you have nudged me towards trying again....in our woods instead of hanging by a thread underneath a massive lonicera halliana (I know, i know)

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to hear about some other experiences. I just found a good source for w. ternata and I'm looking forward to trying it! (Hoping it doesn't get too thuggish!) Thanks again for the replies.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

I planted ternata this year in several spots. It seems to be struggling in the areas with full sun. In fact, I thought it had died off this summer in some areas but with the cool fall and additional moisture, some tiny leaves are poking out. We'll see how it does next year.

I ordered it because it was supposed to adaptable and tough. In the areas with some shade it is doing well though hasn't spread much. When I received my flats, they were practically choking themselves within the cells. I have heavy clay alkaline soil so that might be stifling it.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GreenHearted, can I ask where you got your flats? I've only found sources for single plants. Maybe there will be more available in the spring. Thanks!

Good to hear your experience. I have one part sun and one full shade spot that I would like to try. Maybe I'll just put a few in the sunnier spot at first and see how they do.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz