Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flies on sedums and asters?

Posted by dsb22 z7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 10:20

Hi,
mostly a lurker here. I recently picked up my first sedums (Autumn Fire) and an aster. Both seem to be quite attractive to flies...swarming would be a little strong, but not much. I was going to use the aster in a container near our front door but am having definite second thoughts about that. Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I could plant near them that flies don't like?

Thanks,
Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flies on sedums and asters?

My sedums are covered with bees, but I do know that certain flies are active pollinators. Some breeders prefer flies over bees to do their business.

o

Food sources for all these critters are very low this time of year, so yes flies, bees, butterflies will swarm to anything blooming in the garden. I have one small bed loaded with asters, mums, sedums etc. The current insect population in this area is just amazing. Part of life.

I've also noticed that flies in particular seek out the warmest spots in the garden to hang out (areas that get the most sunshine). Could that be part of the problem?

Kevin

o

ignore it.. odds are they wont be interested next year ... who knows what the nursery sprayed on them???

ken

o

Yes, all of the sedums are in the sunniest spot in the backyard and the asters are in bright sun in the front. The flies do look as busy as the bees that are on the plants. I just won't put the asters by the front door. Thank you for the feedback.

Deanna

o

• Posted by d359 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 13:10

I planted Sedums around the perimeter of my home 4 years ago. Swarming is the appropriate term for my fly infestation. I do have direct sunlight for 6 hours plus a day AND THESE LITTLE BUGGERS ARE EVERYWHERE. I have tried home made fly traps ... no luck bought the fly traps "Super Stinky " cannot be used close to your house . I am contemplating removing these beautiful plants because every time i open the slider at least 3 get inside and they do breed like crazy

o

It's nature.......live with it......don't fight it......

o

Some of those 'flies' may be hover flies. Many species are voracious predators of pests in their season. Not everything which looks like a fly is the sort which spreads diseases and frequents unpleasant substances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hover flies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here