Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logixsti

OOOPS! The Dog ate the Agastache

logixsti
9 years ago

So while joining me on my gardening rounds Wednesday one of my dogs "cleared" half of one of my beds. Many of the plants were just uprooted and have been re-planted and seem to be doing ok..but..

She leveled one of my Agastache plants. There's not an above-ground stem left on the poor thing but the big root-ball is still in place. Should I replace it? Or should I expect it to start growing again next spring?

They always seemed like a bit of a tender plant, I'm forever being extra careful with them since it seems the slightest thing results in broken stems, shoddy growth and so on...but I just don't know enough about them to know if it will/should hopefully be ok..or if I should stop by the garden center in hopes they have any left...

Comments (10)

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

I'd leave it be and hope for signs of growth by next spring. And muzzle the *($! dog.

A few years ago my black Lab was nosing around a few potted perennials that had just arrived in a nursery shipment. She picked up the most expensive one (naturally), and when I shouted at her, figured it was a fun game and I wound up chasing her around the yard yelling for her to drop it (which she eventually did, much the worse for wear).

She's the only dog I've ever had with a consuming interest in garden plants.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

"consuming interest" HA! min

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

lol Eric!! Thanks for the funny visual :0)

I broke out laughing and almost snotted on myself!

Hey what can I say.....it's runny nose season.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

What type of Agastache? If it's A. foeniculum, I'd say it will be ok. If it's one of the western ones, maybe not since reestablishment in fall may be tricky.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Agastache is in the mint family--feel the stem; it's square. Many are hardy to Z5. Mint tends to grow wild and is generally tough as nails despite its "tender" form. I'd replant the root ball and see what happens. What have you got to lose?

BTW - Agastache frequently self-seeds here in my CT garden.

• jadeite
    9 years ago

I don't know where the OP lives or what kind of agastache you are growing. I'm in the Southwest and grow several different varieties. We have pack rats which have attacked my plants. They gnaw on stems and roots for moisture. They have stripped a couple of agastaches more than once. I've also had other beasts chewing through stems, not eating them, just ripping the foliage up.

In every case the plant has recovered. These are plants put in this year, around May-July. If your growing season is long enough, your plants may recover. I'd leave them in the ground and see if they recover next spring. You have nothing to lose.

Cheryl

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Eric: I have a big lumpy lab. She would do the exact same thing LOL!

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

I wonder if there are Havahart traps big enough for dogs? (they work fine on rabbits and chipmunks, which have been my real problems this year).

Actually, my Lab is no longer a major threat to the garden. She has matured, and now has a consuming interest in current events.

{{gwi:269193}}

"I'm done with editorials, can you pass me the sports section?"

This post was edited by eric_oh on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 20:06

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Eric: LOL! She's a beauty, though. It is so hard to stay mad at a Lab -- easy to GET mad at them but they're so loving and adorable and when she gives me that face I can't help but give her a pat on the head and all is forgiven :0)

My other dog is a mutt but I was told she has some lab in her (but she's definitely some sort of shepherd dominantly) -- TOTALLY different personality.

• logixsti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ahhh..yea..the dogs. gotta love 'em, gotta hate 'em right?

I guess I'll just wait until next spring and see what happens..sucks. haha. my luck is that it will be a goner and of course it's right in front of my house in the one spot most noticed by passerbys..and now half of it is leveled. haha.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner