Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Milorganite and voles?

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
9 years ago

Milorganite was mentioned as a way to discourage deer, and it made me wonder if anyone with vole problems has tried using it to deter voles.

I know about castor oil, and it helps, but If anyone has tried this or has tried blood meal, I would love to hear about it.

This week I noticed a small dogwood had wilted, and when I touched it, it came right out of the ground, only tiny root nibs left. So I am once again on the vole warpath . . .

Comments (19)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I would be curious to know the answer to that question as well. In the fall I have to wrap all the fruit tree trunks (and extend the wrap down into the mulch) if I don't want them to suffer a similar fate as your dogwood, Babs.

I delegate vole control though, to my super efficient assistant, Inga.

• gardenfanatic2003
    9 years ago

Karin - Inga is a beauty! :-)

Deanna

• lindaw_cincy
    9 years ago

We had voles this year, called an exterminator. He used a product called Kaput. We ordered some online, and got rid of the voles. The exterminator was supposed to come back in a few weeks, but we treated it ourselves. So far, no sign of voles.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did a bit of research on the other recommended products.
    Kaput is a warfarin based bait, so needs care in use.
    Shake Away is scented with fox urine.

Still wondering if anyone has used Milorganite who had vole issues.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 20:46

• gardenfanatic2003
    9 years ago

This particular Shake Away isn't scented with fox urine. It's scented with mint, rosemary, and cedar oils. The Shake Away for rabbits has fox urine. And it does work for rabbits FYI.

Deanna

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Do you mean moles? I thought voles tunneled just below the surface (raised bumps) whereas moles dig holes?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Moles never, ever eat plant material--they're insectivores and eat soil dwellers. Voles tunnel but will happily make use of mole tunnels.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

What is in Milorganite that would deter an animal?

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

The only thing that has ever worked for us, as we live in the country with voles everywhere, is to fence our plants in with 1/4 inch hardware cloth.

Exclusion is the only way to go, though we do put warfarin bait under our porch as well.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

ILMTs, wow that 1/4 inch hardware cloth is expensive too. So they can't chew through it? How did you fence it in and did you have to bury part of it in the ground? Do you have a photo of the fence?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am currently planting perennials in hardware cloth rings buried 5" or with about 2" above ground. It's expensive, incinvenient, and not highly attractive.

I find in the winter that the voles often tend to burrow through plant material right at the surface, but in the summer they tunnel a bit deeper, and if they already have summer tunnels they will continue using them in the winter.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Too bad Marlene Dietrich isn't available - she took care of her own vole problem handily.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Karin, your kitty picture is beautiful. I have a vole hunter too, but she doesn't hunt in the front garden, where the voles were running rampant a few years ago. I lost tons of bulbs and perennials and was desperate. Castor oil was a miracle, it didn't just help, it completely cured the problem. I use it every fall since, as a preventative measure over the winter.

I've only used milorganite for fertilizing the lawn, haven't yet tried it for repelling critters. Not sure that it would work for rodents.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

I just watched a video by the owner of NH Hostas- on Castor Oil saturation doing the trick for his 1000's of hostas.
    I told Margaret Roach about it and she was interested but wanted to know if it might harm ANYthing- worms, etc. Couldn't answer that for her. Sounds fantastic to me. Try it, babs?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup I've used castor oil for a couple of years, and while it cuts back on them, it doesn't totally discourage them.

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

We have used Milorganite extensively on our garden beds this year to try and deter the deer and rabbits.

This week we put out mouse traps to see what we could catch....voles have been in the traps.
    So sorry to say it doesnt chase away the voles.

Be aware that Kaput is a very dangerous product if you have pets.

The voles and mice are very tricky to catch setting off the traps without being caught. May try the Tootsie Roll on the trap, there is a video on You Tube for this.

We may also try the bucket method, also on You Tube.

After loosing so many plants to voles over the past two years we are on a vole mission!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for adding your experience with Milorganite and voles, Trudy. At least I know now that it isn't worth trying. I'll invest in some additional castor oil and ShakeAway instead of Milorganite, and probably add some traps in the worst areas.

Thanks also to everyone who made suggestions on what has worked for them.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, Sheila,

Try Kaput and sprinkle the granules in gopher holes or in all places they are rise roots. It is used by exterminators. it works!

One review said he had 100 gophers and got rid of them all! It’s made for you Sheila!

Another person bought Kaput for voles and she got rid of them all!

(Sorry I even mentioned to do all new landscaping of your whole property. Way too much work and not necessary! I think this simple remedy will work!) Woohoo! )