Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Creeping Jenny, where to buy seeds?

Posted by wren-garden zone 5b/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 11:05

Just finished a total redo of most of the beds. Now I am looking at bare soil again between all the perennials. I have a friend who has Golden creeping jenny as a living green mulch between all the Daylilies, Roses and other perennials in a large bed. It looks beautiful and keeps out the weeds. I would love to do that for a number of the redone beds but on a budget. Growing my own from seed seems the best and fastest way to fill the beds.All the searches I have done come up empty. Dose anyone know where to buy seeds. The botanical name is Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea. It can be referred to as Moneywort too. Thanks! Elizabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Creeping Jenny, where to buy seeds?

I've never seen seed offered, but it might be out there. I would think long and hard before ever introducing this plant into my garden again. I did it once and it took about 10 years to get rid of it. It is lovely, but my-oh-my does it spread - and spread FAST!

My warning. Take it or leave it at your own peril.

Kevin

o

This plant is propagated by cuttings, not seed.

o

one of the most invasive problem plants i ever had ... it is the understatement of the century to suggest you might rethink this ...

your friend already has it... take a hand trowel.. with permission ... dig out a bunch of little clumps... hers will fill in in a week.. and you will be well on your way to the nightmare i lived ..

good luck

ken

o

But it does produce seed. An excerpt from a Master Gardener website:

"Seed capsules do not form readily, so 'Aurea' does not spread by seed as readily as the green type will."

I found a few other references to this plant producing seed, but again they all stated it's usually propagated by cuttings.

Kevin

o

Any seed that is produced is unlikely to produce the gold-leaved form.

o

I already have creeping charlie that came with the property. It is green with scalloped edged leaves that can get up to 1 and a half inches wide. I fight it all summer, every summer,in 10 out of the 12 beds. Thank goodness it is easy to pull. I have had Golden creeping Jenny in a part of my garden before. It is much slower then charlie and flatter to the ground.It also has had winter die back and has been burnt out by a hot spell and crowded out by it's taller fellows which has made it easy to keep ahead of. Where as charlie is an iron invader.I understand the nature of these creepers. I have given the same warnings many times to other new gardeners. I deal with creeper menace all summer, might as well be one I want. If it goes where I don't want it, it's not weeding, but lifting a new plant to put someplace else I would like some,lol Well since seeds are out and I will have to spend money anyway, is there another ground cover plant choice that would work better? The area at the base of roses, around daylilies and the nooks and granies. Thanks for your concerns. Elizabeth

o

If you have a friend with the plant can you ask for a few pieces? Don't worry too much about Ken - have it if you want it - I secretly believe he doesn't really like plants very much, except perfectly-behaved trees ; )

p.s. It actually died in my garden.

o

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' also will, if given the chance, escape into your lawn, producing an interesting (?) dappled yellow-green effect. Lysimachialawn is not as well known a malady as Ajugalawn but can be equally pernicious.

o

Any groundcover will escape into your lawn if you let it--thymes, vinca, etc. You do have to control groundcovers if you have them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here