Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

Golden Creeping Jenny, where to buy seeds?

wren_garden
12 years ago

Just finished a total redo of most of the beds. Now I am looking at bare soil again between all the perennials. I have a friend who has Golden creeping jenny as a living green mulch between all the Daylilies, Roses and other perennials in a large bed. It looks beautiful and keeps out the weeds. I would love to do that for a number of the redone beds but on a budget. Growing my own from seed seems the best and fastest way to fill the beds.All the searches I have done come up empty. Dose anyone know where to buy seeds. The botanical name is Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea. It can be referred to as Moneywort too. Thanks! Elizabeth

Comments (14)

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

This plant is propagated by cuttings, not seed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

one of the most invasive problem plants i ever had ... it is the understatement of the century to suggest you might rethink this ...

your friend already has it... take a hand trowel.. with permission ... dig out a bunch of little clumps... hers will fill in in a week.. and you will be well on your way to the nightmare i lived ..

good luck

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    12 years ago

But it does produce seed. An excerpt from a Master Gardener website:

"Seed capsules do not form readily, so 'Aurea' does not spread by seed as readily as the green type will."

I found a few other references to this plant producing seed, but again they all stated it's usually propagated by cuttings.

Kevin

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

Any seed that is produced is unlikely to produce the gold-leaved form.

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I already have creeping charlie that came with the property. It is green with scalloped edged leaves that can get up to 1 and a half inches wide. I fight it all summer, every summer,in 10 out of the 12 beds. Thank goodness it is easy to pull. I have had Golden creeping Jenny in a part of my garden before. It is much slower then charlie and flatter to the ground.It also has had winter die back and has been burnt out by a hot spell and crowded out by it's taller fellows which has made it easy to keep ahead of. Where as charlie is an iron invader.I understand the nature of these creepers. I have given the same warnings many times to other new gardeners. I deal with creeper menace all summer, might as well be one I want. If it goes where I don't want it, it's not weeding, but lifting a new plant to put someplace else I would like some,lol Well since seeds are out and I will have to spend money anyway, is there another ground cover plant choice that would work better? The area at the base of roses, around daylilies and the nooks and granies. Thanks for your concerns. Elizabeth

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

If you have a friend with the plant can you ask for a few pieces? Don't worry too much about Ken - have it if you want it - I secretly believe he doesn't really like plants very much, except perfectly-behaved trees ; )

p.s. It actually died in my garden.

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' also will, if given the chance, escape into your lawn, producing an interesting (?) dappled yellow-green effect. Lysimachialawn is not as well known a malady as Ajugalawn but can be equally pernicious.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Any groundcover will escape into your lawn if you let it--thymes, vinca, etc. You do have to control groundcovers if you have them.

• Christina Fletcher
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

In zone 7, I have no problems keeping my lovely creepers at bay. They are so soft and easy to manipulate. Every 3 months or so, I pull the little guys that are invading my plants and shrubs and gently place them in bare spots with a little potting mix. Voilà, I have new plants.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    6 years ago

I have some of the gold in a rock garden and it is mostly easy to manage, but only because it is no where near any other beds. I do have some in large pots scattered around for color- I leave these pots outside all winter and the gold always comes back each spring. I was amazed the first spring- thought sure exposure in a pot all winter would have killed it but nope.

• HU-54267036
    3 years ago

I have had the green in large pot for years. It cascades beautifully. Love it. Comes back every spring.

• teuth
    3 years ago

Assuming the site will get enough water and not be cooked by the hot sun, you don't even need to dig clumps to propagate this plant. Just break off long stems and stick them straight into the soil, and they will root. You can take pieces from your friend's plant without damaging its looks at all.

You will have trouble stopping it from spreading and rooting wherever its stems end up.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    3 years ago

Unless it just dies, like mine did. Go figure!