Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvmygrdn

Santolina Ericoides-Lavender Cotton

lvmygrdn
17 years ago

Any experience with this plant? It caught my eye in the Bluestone catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Santolina Ericoides

Comments (8)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

It caught my eye in the same catalog, about a week ago. After looking at the thread below, I decided that it sounds like too much work. If you do decide to try it, you've got to let me know how it is working for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW discussion on Santolina

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Santolina is a Mediterranean native that may not appreciate the high humidity of a Maryland summer. Can you grow lavender well? If so, you should be able to do santolina also. Benefits from shearing back periodically to keep plants nicely mounded and not floppy. Needs very well draining soil and minimal watering/fertilizing. Great for any xeriscape planting.

I am more familiar with this plant being labeled as Santolina pinnata.

• deep___roots
    17 years ago

Santolina: love it. CA climate is mediterranean though, so it is a good fit.
    Shear in the spring to shape. Shear the spent flowers. Water it if you want to, but it doesn't appear to be necessary. Grows in poor soil. Mounds to fill areas. The scent of the foliage is very pleasing in my opinion.

There is a green foliage and a gray foliage type. This one in the catalog is green, but appears to be dwarfish...maybe it is a new introduction?

No idea if it would like humidity of east coast.

• lvmygrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Phooey! Humidity can be nasty here in Maryland. I may try it but I have had no luck with lavendar to this will go to the bottom of the list for now. hmmm. I'm looking for yellow flowers that like it dry and humid. I going to read the thread Suja so nicely posted for me. Thanks.

• denisez10
    17 years ago

Since the thread Suja linked addressed the splitting and splaying open of santolina, I'm posting a picture of a silver form in my garden. I'm going for a strong rounded form, which takes lots of snipping.

{{gwi:269477}}

• sharonsgarden
    17 years ago

I know I may be a little late in this posting, but I am growing the Santolina ericoides here in Northern Kentucky. We get the high humidity and soaring temperatures throughout most of the summer. I did not have any problem growing this plant. I also purchased mine from Bluestone Perennials. The foliage is interesting and the scent is unusual, a little like bananas maybe. Anyay, it seems be doing ok so far.

• lvmygrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you posted Sharon. I have an order coming from Bluestone and may add to it. I really like the looks of this plant and the small flowers. Did you cut your plant back at any time? Do you have it in full sun? Thanks again for posting. Ree

• laperouse
    17 years ago

Me, too, Sharon. And thanks for the input in my post. I am just curious how comes this post didn't come up when I searched for "Santolina ericoides" in the GW search engine? Is it case sensitive - I didn't think so.

I am definitely ordering some this Spring and actually prefer the S. ericoides to S. chamaecyparissus. The pale yellow button-like blooms jump out at you on the greener foliage, IMHO.

Marianne