Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Baptisia question

Nancy
10 years ago

Years ago I got some seeds for a white flowering baptisia. I'm sure I had the exact botanical name at the time because I already had a white flowering baptisia and would have swapped for something different, but have lost the name of it. I have several different baptisias, and this one grows and flowers much later than the other white, blues, yellows I grow. It doesn't even start growing til late May or June, & flowers late June/July. I took a picture when it was blooming, but apparently deleted it. It looks just like a normal bapisia, but very late blooming. Anyone have a clue what it would be? It took about 5 years before it ever bloomed.

Comments (4)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Based on the information in Larry Hodgson's book 'Perennials for Every Purpose,' my guess would be Baptisia australis 'Alba' but since I don't grow it, I can't be certain.

Grown from seed, Baptisia generally takes several years to bloom. Given their carefree habit + attraction for pollinators, they're well worth the effort.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went out yesterday to weed & found the tag for this a few feet away. I got the seeds as B. Leucophaea, cream babtisia. It is supposed to normally grow only 2' tall, & take extra long time from seed to bloom according to one site. This took 5 or 6 years to bloom at least, so that sounds right, but that is about all. I have white baptisia Leucantha which blooms early with other baptisias.
    I think you may be right about Alba, one site says it blooms June, July, & August. This is a wee bit short for Alba, but not by a lot. It is really surprising how late it is to come up. In mid May I thought for sure it had died or I had weeded it out accidentally, but a few weeks later there it was. Of course, everything was late this year.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

According to my notes, where I am B. australis normally blooms sometime in May rather than later in the growing season.

I would love to add plenty more Baptisia in my garden but thanks to winter sowing, my beds are pretty much chock-a-block full of perennials I grew from seed.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The blue baptisia australis I have blooms in April/early May. Maybe I've got some kind of new cross :) Last year when it bloomed so very late, I thought it was just because it was 1st year's bloom, & it had been a crazy hot June. When it behaved the same way this year, I decided it must be the norm for the plant.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!