Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherry67_gw

Russian Sage leaves browning, falling off

cherry67
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm new here. I was hoping to get some help...I bought 8 Russian Sage plants from Lowes a few weeks ago and within 2 days after bringing them home the lower leaves started turning brown and falling off. The purple flowers started turning white too. So I exchanged them for 8 more. The new ones were fine for about a week and now they are doing the same thing! I pulled a few out of the pots and the roots look mostly light brown and stringy, but not mushy. I have tried not to water them very much, just when the top of the soil felt dry and I even put them in my son's wagon under the carport when we got 3 inches of rain the other day. Anyone else experience this? I have not yet planted them, was wanting to this weekend, but now I'm scared they won't make it. We have heavy clay soil and I was going to amend it with compost and expanded shale to help with drainage. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (7)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

It's so late in the season, I would expect some leaf drop. Also those poor plants have probably been in pots sitting around at Lowes for many months and a few weeks for you. That in itself would cause some stress and more leaf drop. Unless the plants look like they're croaking completely, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Get them in the ground so they have some time to establish themselves before winter - assuming you are in a colder climate. You don't give any info about where you're at.

Kevin

• cherry67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin!

I'm in zone 6, the winter doesn't get too bad here. I'm going to try to get them planted this weekend, but I'm trying to figure out if maybe they're overwatered or unwatered. Should I water them or leave them alone until I get them planted this weekend?

• anitaz6
    11 years ago

Sounds like you need to water more.
    Even drought tolerant plants need adequate moisture when they are planted.
    Plant them, water them in really well, make sure the root ball and surrounding soil is saturated. Check them probably every three days, depending what your temps are like, and keep them moist but not soggy. If you have heavy soil and live in an area with good rainfall, plant them high. They will not tolerate cold, wet soil in the winter.
    Hope this helps.

• cherry67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the help! I ended up watering them Thursday, I'm going to water them again here in a minute and hopefully they will be going in the ground this afternoon. They are sad looking for sure(some of them have lost most of their leaves),but maybe they'll make it...
    Wish me luck! :)

• judyhi
    11 years ago

I dug up one of mine approximately two weeks ago and transplanted it. It is growing new leaves already and is looking healthy and didn't go through too much shock. I'm thinking that if yours are "sad" looking, you may wind up going back to return them again.
    It could simply be as Kevin said that it is because they are in pots. Did you pay full price?

Good luck!

• cherry67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Judy!
    Yep, I paid full price, but they looked fine when I bought them. I planted most of them, but replaced the 3 worst looking ones since my last post. I have 2 left to plant, I'm shooting for tonight. Most of the ones I've planted are looking fine, but two are a little wilty. I'm afraid to overwater them, how often should I water them? Oh and are the roots supposed to be mostly brown?

Thanks again for any help!

• Cynthia Thomas
    2 years ago

I bought from Lowes as well. My leaves fell off and the base is turning brown. Actually almost every plant I bought from Lowes, I've had problems