Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

toad lilies - oh dear

User
9 years ago

I have been a stubborn tricyrtis refusenik for the past 15 years until today - middle daughter proudly informs me she has bought several for me as a 'gift'. Am uncertain whether to be overjoyed or making plans to bury them in one of the gigantic compost heaps. I know these creepy looking plants have their fans so remind me what I might be missing if I fail to plant these in my woodland (I have plenty of huge aconitums to camouflage them if I have to be seen to plant them somewhere). They are purple and white spotty things (Gah).

Comments (40)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Be sure to plant them as close to the front edge of your walking path if you want to have any chance of viewing these very unique Autumn flowers.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

eew, camp, you lucky girl. You could plant a trio of plants with spotted flowers that have appendages sticking out them and then set a big garden gnome smack in the middle and call it the 'Creepy Garden'. I don't know what its is but I find these plants creepy. Something about the spots maybe? The colors? The bizarre factor?

I think this would work:

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Sorry! The bees and I love 'em and I look forward to their late season (October) blooms every year. Makes me grin watching the bees on them--for some reason they go for the bottom of the flower.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it certainly wouldn't be the first time I have had a violent change of heart.....for many years, kniphofias were absolutely verboten (I think it was the pronunciation difficulties more than anything else)....until I grew a 'Toffee Nose' with anomanthele lessoniana (aka stipa arundinacea)...at which point I became evangelistic (and tedious).

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Have to agree to thumbs down on the kniphofias. Grew them one year and yanked them out less than a month after they bloomed. Could not see any value in growing them. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" notwithstanding, I could find nothing about them to admire.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I like the kniphofias and grew them a few years back. I saw a mass planting along a sidewalk with a lot of dried red chile rista's hanging above and behind them from a carved wood frame on an adobe building in Santa fe that was gorgeous last time we visited. In fact, I've been thinking of growing them again.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I do not care for tricyrtis either.I do like Tiger lily, but most spotted leaves creep me out particulary pulmonaria and brunnera. Give me dark green brunnera anyday.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I've never warmed up to toad lilies which is strange because I've always been drawn to plants with unique looking flowers, like the Silk Vine (Periploca graeca), odd little flowers and they stink, I still have this growing in the planter around the koi pool. I sometimes scratch my head as to why I still have it.

Annette

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

It is beyond me how anyone could not find toad lilies and other spotted lilies as anything other than beautiful and exotic, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about the Red Hot Pokers. I imagine it is a matter of a persons surroundings and personal taste but then with gardens its always personal to each. To me,Toadlily's look like a deformity that sprang out of a dark, dank, creepy place. R. H. Pokers look bold, warm and bright, like fiery torches out in the open air.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Sorry 'campanula' to take it a bit OT but TR mentioning "Red Hot Pokers" reminded me of my love for these plants. A couple of years ago GW member a2zmom posted a stunning picture of Kniphofia "Alcazar" she had taken from her garden (I have included it below). I went out soon after and finally found "Alcazar". I planted 2 that Fall and neither survived the mild winter. And yet I tried again with "Early Sunrise" which I planted in 2013 and much to my surprise it made it through this past epic winter. Who can figure.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I like deformities, oddities and polkadots. HEY , Campanula , Check your Email . Sorry for being off topic.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

Perhaps it's the newbie gardener in me, but I do find myself drawn to plants that can serve as 'conversation pieces' (though my choices are limited as most of my garden is in shade). I planted toad lilies this year and I am a fan, though I do recall reading at one point that the spotty look is caused by a virus that can possibly spread to other lilies...? Oh well, I guess we'll see if my daylilies come up spotty next year! Interestingly, pulmonaria/lungwort is named for the lung disease it resembles, so I can understand the creep factor on that one.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

spedigrees,
    To me, spots are pretty only on geckos and freckles are pretty only on redheads. lol.
    To each his own.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

That does it. I am getting Kniphofia seed to sow this winter. I saw a variety that has glaucous blue leaves when this plant came up last summer & they come up easy from seed. I'll let you guys grow the Toadlily's.

Speaking of spots, I like the spotted Manfreda's, they look great with tufted grasses like Mexican Feather Grass and Blue Fescue. When I first heard of them & saw photo's I thought they were ugly and diseased looking but in real life, especially with the grasses, I did a 180. Its a matter of where something is planted sometimes.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Urk, spotty foliage has always been a bit of a turn-off for me too although I do have a slightly gothic bohemian style (this is code for messy and idle). So, toadlilies - what do you grow with yours? How are they with tree roots. Most importantly, are they robust or do they need coddling (they won't last long if so).

Kniphofias - what are you waiting for Tex - get on it. Mine won't be making a trip to the woods.....but I rarely regret changing plants (boredom threshold of hyperactive infant). Hot Pokers are like asters or phlox - possible to rub along without them for a few years, only to be 'rediscovered' anew every decade or so

• dbarron
    9 years ago

For me, toad-lilies needed coddling. I think they would have been a lot happier in a cooler, wetter climate.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Re toadlilies:

I don't believe in being prejudiced against any perennial that works/can work.

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest plus for toadlilies is that they bloom at a time of the growing season when the number of blooming perennials is diminishing.

Nevertheless, I stopped using them in order to rid our garden of lily beetles.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Well.....I'll tell ya what I'm waiting for......in winter I plant seeds indoors of some plants because its how I get through it otherwise I get sort of pitted out due to lack of garden diversions, namely some sort of progress to observe, the daily check and all that. Red Hot Pokers is now on the list along with a few others.

I don't believe in planting any plant I don't like but never thought of it as a prejudice, that sounds sort of serious. I only have so much space.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Hereis a not so red hot poker that has the name of a disease that I kinda like is Kniphofia typhoides. I like word games and associations in the garden. Things don't have to be purely visual.

Here is a link that might be useful: K. typhoides

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 0:32

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

But here is the one that I have been lusting for for about three years. Kniphofia multiflora Cream

Here is a link that might be useful: K. multiflora

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 15:00

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The K. multifloras come in orange to. I have found them in plant form for $25 in the states but so far, no seed here. I have found them across the pond

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

TX ranger, You sent me some seed several years back of some that grow and grow and grow and they started sending multiple blooms I think I will have to move them this year. Their display does not last for long.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

My toad lilies grow without any coddling in an area where they compete with maple tree roots. They are just starting to bloom now, a bit earlier than usual. Maybe due to a snap of cool weather. I consider them a tiny treasure.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I consider them a tiny treasure.

And herein lies the problem for me......in the land of giant thuggish perennials, I foresee bullying and overlying from the badly behaved yahoos which colonise the woods.....but being a cheapskate, I will be planting them (since they were free, which tends to trump all other criteria when it comes down to decision making).

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Free! Understand about trying a plant that is free.

While the blossoms are tiny the plants themselves are not.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I would love to hear about any thuggish perennials that like dry shade if you know of any. Sometimes a thug is exactly what's needed, if its halfway ornamental I am in the market for it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Like mnwsgal, I consider them a tiny treasure.

My clump of toad lilies planted under a mature crabapple tree several years ago have multiplied--politely--and now form an impressive clump heavy with blooms. Stems remain upright without staking and require zero "coddling" from me which makes them high on my list of valued perennials in marginally dry shade. That they attract and sustain pollinators makes them valued additions to my garden beds.

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

I have Tricyrtis hirta in my garden for more than 10 years now. Its under a 30 year old weeping beech. It can cope with fairly dry ground but I do water it occasionally in the summer. Ideal conditions are humus rich soil in semi shade that does not dry out to much in the summer.

Here (The Netherlands) it starts flowering at the end of August and goes on into October. I think it is valuable because of its late flowering. The flowers are charming but must be seen up close to really appreciate.

It does spread by stoloniferous roots but so far has not been a nuissance. Every spring I chop some bits of to keep it in place.

Tricyrtis hirta wakes early in the year and new growth can be damaged by spring frost but plants quickly recover.

In my garden slugs and snails love the new growth of Tricyrtis so keep an eye on those creatures.

Christopher Lloyd described Tricyrtis as "strangely compelling" and I think that is a excellent characterization.

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

I'm so amazed (and laughing) at the comments in this thread. I never thought anyone would consider Toad Lilies creepy. I was introduced them about 10 years ago, given a few plants which have multiplied under my apple tree and now are in bloom. I love them. They remind me of orchids, which my sister and her husband grow competitively. And red hot poker...I have been trying to grow this from seed for about 5 years with no success. Well, as they say: Beauty...eye of beholder. Nice pic. GardenPrince.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

northerner, It really is in they eye of the beholder. I have a sister who loves colorful tropical, green, big leafy stuff and would she would definitely go 'ga ga' over the toad lilies. I like blues, duller colors, native grasses and wild looking scrubby small leaved plants or anything native. We usually head off into completely different directions when we go to TLC, a large privately owned nursery here. Its about all we can do to fake our mutual "admiration" of each other's purchases. I am usually giving hers the sideways doubtful look and she returns the favor along with an eyeball roll.

What I don't understand is when people take it personally as they do sometimes here. If we all liked and planted the same exact things...... well, that would definitely be creepy.

• growlove
    9 years ago

My tricyrtis is just coming into bloom and I have several planted on the edge of the gardens. I am always thrilled when they make it through our cold winters. Have had a yellow one now for two years with flowers quite a bit larger than the other purple ones. As others have said, " beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". Perhaps I enjoy them so much because they bloom when most other flowers are done so they extend the season for just awhile longer. Mary

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I suppose they would be an excellent season extender but I'm still going to pass. Let me add though that I'm not even much of a fan of those speckled and spotted tropical orchids.... Fascinating to look at but then I have no problem walking off when I'm done.
    Red hot pokers are a different story. Love em.
    Maybe there are two types of people out there, toadies and pokers... And then possibly rose/hosta lovers too -I suspect they're in a group of their own to.
    campanula do I need a smiley face at the end of this?

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

lol I guess I'm in all kinds of different groups, including the toadies. I have not seen a plant that I don't like so far. Very entertaining thread.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Nope on the roses and the hostas. Nope nope nope. No on the spotted stuff too.

Here is a "to each his own" that gets me. I meet people who cannot get why I grow "all those cactus" because of the painful stickers and how scary that is. A cactus is a piece of cake compared to the trimming I have to do on the rose that insists on growing over the fence from next door. Painfully handling and stuffing the trimmings into a trash can after whacking away on the winter killed dead mess and just keeping it in bounds usually ends up leaving me forced to wear long sleeves and long pants in public if I go out and thats just from one rose bush. These same people don't blink an eye over growing roses but go all weak in the knees over the very thought of a cactus because (gasp) it has stickers. I could say the same thing about barberry shrubs which is also pretty bad to trim. Give me cactus any day, besides the seasonal interest is 12 months out of the year and the blooms beat any rose I have ever seen anywhere starting in May and going on until early July and then picking up again in late summer and fall with bright pears and I've never walked away looking like a bloody mess like after dealing with that rose bush.

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Unasked-for gift plants are awkward IMO. There is a reason why folks don't have .... ( fill in the undesirable plant of your choice) growing in their garden. When starting a new garden, now that's different.

Personally I am not delighted when DMiL comes along with (hardy) Hibiscus seedlings with probably washed-out- purple-undies- colored flowers or some funny NOID Asters she doesn't even no the flower color of.

I only offer plants to other gardeners when they asked interested or complimented on the particular color etc.

And as my gardenspace is very limited, I have no qualms about chucking odd gift plants.
    ( personally yes to few roses, some Hosta and most of straight forward perennials, for cactus there is just not enough warmth...).

Bye, Lin

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

texasranger: lovely cactus. We have one tiny cactus that will probably never get much bigger. I cut back another one of our dangerous roses last weekend for that reason and then was happy to hear DH's comment about giving it away. I wonder how soon we can dig it up. Does it need to be dormant to be moved?

• paul_
    9 years ago

Love toadlilies but no luck growing them. I like the spotting as well as the late season bloom.

Red hot poker? A truly "meh" plant from my point of view -- though I freely admit that mass planting pic was lovely. I think part of it is the "clump of grass" look. (Don't like daylilies either partly for that reason.)

Part of a plant's appeal, or lack there of, is dependent upon the general environment, for me. For example, I despise yucca and opuntia when I see them in landscapes around here. To me, they simply do not "fit in" in a water rich area of meadows, woods/forests, etc. (And the fact that removing an unwanted yucca is a %$^&%$. Quite convinced that if there should ever be a nuclear war, the yucca will be right there along side the cockroaches as the inheritors of the Earth.) Now in an arid region like areas of Texas, Arizona, California, et cetera I like them quite a bit. Not only do they make perfect sense from a water standpoint, they have a "look" perfectly in keeping with that setting. (And TR, the photo of your Opuntia in full bloom is gorgeous.)

Barberry is one of those plants for which I have never seen the appeal. Maybe if there is a zombie apocalypse I'll change my mind .....

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Paul, I know what your saying. Atmospheric light plays a part as well. In summer the sun is so intense and the landscape is so dry around here that appropriate plants look better than, say--- tropical plants which I guess do look a bit better if a person is wearing sunglasses to knock off some of the intensity and bring out the gaudy colors and over sized leaves etc that clash with the rest of the landscape. Its like seeing a gaudy bar room thats usually lit dimly for atmosphere all exposed in the harsh daylight with open shades.

I absolutely hate seeing tropical looking plants in Oklahoma. It just doesn't work and looks stupid. Even worse is to add in a few specimens around non-descript shrubs or grasses because you feel for the novelty and just had to have one. You know, like just plunk in hardy palm right in the midst of your shrubbery. Nice. Or like up the street with the palms planted behind a row of dusty miller. That one makes me nauseated to look at. I'm probably prejudiced since tropical, big leaves, big gaudy flowers etc aren't my cup-o-tea anyhow but I still say its not a good fit visually down here in Okie-ville.

(Unless maybe its a botanical garden situation visually cut off from the rest of the world to visit as a curiosity)