Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alstroemeria?

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 12:01

I had to dig up my one lonely plant, as it was stepped on a few times. Will the broken tubers grow?

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alstroemeria?

I think this question will be a difficult one to get a desired answer to. There are not many people who step on tubers on purpose. You can try to plant them and let us know about the result. A word of caution: once established, alstroemeria can turn into a nuisance, I have seen many examples here in Denmark. Extremly running habit.

o

LOL. I live in central Texas, I doubt they will become a nuisance. I have worked hard keeping this one growing with our heat and drougth this year.
I will let you know.

Thanks

o

The fleshy roots of the Alstroemeria contain a lot of energy stored that should cause it to regrow. Do your best to keep moisture in the root zone, as they are not considered drought tolerant. We have several flushes of growth and bloom per year. After bloom I will pull the stems, not letting them make seed, and in a few weeks new flowering stems will emerge from the ground. Al

o

Oh, thank you. The reason it got stepped on is that I was/am making a shallow pond for the birds and critters.
It is potted now and will be in the green room this winter.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here