Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Your tallest and then widest herbaceous perennial?

Just curious as to the dimensions of your largest die back single plant perennials (lets leave out all vines)

For me:

TALLEST: "Splendide" Thalictrum at 8 to 9 feet in height. (In second place is a some variety of Monkshood)

WIDEST: At first thought I think it might be Aralia Sun King at just over four feet. (Or maybe it is a "Walker's Low" Catmint at about the same girth) .

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 15:30

Comments (13)

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Tallest - Joe Pye weed

Widest - Six Hills Giant catmint - these have got to be like 5 or 6 feet across, such that I stare at them with my head tilted trying to figure out where/how to even begin cutting it down. On many occasions I've dug them out rather than face the ordeal of cutting them down once again. I used to have a dozen and am down to just two now.

• Spicebush
    10 years ago

Tallest--Aster 'Harrington's Pink' at about 6 ft

Widest--Amsonia tabernaemontana at about 4 ft

• coolplantsguy
    10 years ago

Tallest: Rudbeckia 'Henry Eilers' at about 7'

Widest: Geranium 'Rozanne', Hosta 'Earth Angel' or 'Sum of All' at about 3.5'

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Tallest: My Rudbeckia laciniata.....the shed door is 6 feet...went out and measured it at 81/2 feet.....

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Tallest: My Rudbeckia laciniata.....the shed door is 6 feet...went out and measured it at 81/2 feet.....

{{!gwi}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Tallest: Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant) at 7.5 feet

Widest: Several hosta over 6 feet wide.

tj

• Spicebush
    10 years ago

I didn't even think about my hostas!!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Ok not that size matters but I have a clump of arundo donax (grass) that's a good 7 feet across and 9 or so feet tall (not that I've actually measured it) It stays erect all winter.

Sorry in advance :)
    Frank

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Gee, I've only been at this house for a year and a half. My tallest plant is a Rudbeckia laciniata which is only in its first year but is six feet tall. My widest is a Karl Foerster grass doughnut that was here when I moved in and is about six feet wide. I had a Six Hills catmint at the old house that was wide like Karin's, too. Actually, there are a couple of climbing roses that are taller than six feet. I'm not sure what they are, maybe Gertrude Jeckyll. Oh, and the jackmanii clem is taller than the roses. Why I can't I get my photo to not be sideways?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

Tallest-- Persicaria 'Crimson Beauty' about 12 feet.
    Widest--P. polymorpha about 12 ft.

• coolplantsguy
    10 years ago

I forgot about my Miscanthus 'Giganteus' at 10' tall and 6' wide.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Aseedisapromise,
    You probably took that picture with your phone or I-Pad or something and had the device turned in some direction other than the "traditional" way the device thinks pictures should be taken. The device then orients the picture the way it thinks it should be and that gets translated here. So, the only way to guarantee that your pictures show up with the correct orientation is to find out how your device is designed to be held while taking a picture, and always hold it that way. Some devices can correct for that shift in orientation. Your picture looks fine to me. It's just one of those technology things.

Martha

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

For tallest I second the rudbeckia and miscanthus. Widest for me would be an enormous bleeding heart in spring.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida