Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juniemarie46

Puzzled by Veronica spicata

juniemarie46
9 years ago

They may be performing normally but since this is my first time growing them I'm not sure what to expect.
Both in mostly full sun. Variety is Tickled Pink. The plant itself seem to do well in both spots, but one bloomed and the other did not, although it grew from about 3' wide to 14" wide�.but no blooms. Actually the one that got the most sun and spread the widest is the one with no blooms.
What exactly are their favorite growing conditions?
Also can they be transplanted? thanks dolores

Comments (6)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Some of the answer, at least, presumably depends on where you are and how you manage your garden.

I've planted quite a few veronicas, in sunny well-drained locations, in our garden, where the soil is made friable with the addition of organic material worked into it and there's no stress from drought (for young or for established plants). Should be good for Veronica spicata and related hybrid Veronica cultivars.

Re the longevity of Veronica spicata and related hybrids, however well they're treated.

Of the various Veronica spicata or hybrid Veronica cultivars (e.g. Royal Candles = 'Glory' and 'Sunny Border Blue') I planted more than five years ago in our mixed perennial beds, none have survived. They did well for a few years, but they never reached the stage of requiring division.

Of the more recent additions, the hybrid Veronica 'Purpleicious' has survived five years and 'First Love' three. Several other cultivars only lasted 2 years.

Consequently, I'd say that even if you get the general horticultural instructions right, Veronica spicata and related hybrids don't last any longer than many (probably the majority of) perennial plants, at least in our growing situation. They frequently just make to the status of "perennial".

That's not to say there aren't longer lived veronicas and similar perennials here. I've certainly seen creeping/ prostrate veronicas last ten years or more in just about complete neglect. Also, in our growing conditions, the related but much larger Veronicastrum virginicum and hybrids certainly attain ten or more years.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I have several Veronica spicata plants in various garden beds that have been growing & thriving for well over 7 years so my experience has been they're not 'short-lived' perennials. Altho' I found no specific information about 'Tickled Pink,' the link below offers growing information about 'Royal Candles' which is one of the cultivars I grow. I hope it's of some help.

Obviously the growing conditions where I am differ significantly from your location. My soil is slightly acidic sandy loam and there's sufficient rainfall that I never water my garden beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Veronica 'Tickled Pink' is a mutation of 'Goodness Grows', the latter reported as probably being a hybrid of V. alpina 'Alba' and V. spicata. So it is apparently not a cultivar of the one species.

Noted a short GW thread "Anyone growing Veronica 'Tickled Pink' " (June 22, 12), the initial problem being a three year old plant which was not a heavy bloomer (Z6 NJ).

You could check the few comments on GW (all Z6 or Z7).

There's more (but only general information) about Veronica 'Tickled Pink' on-line.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend you judge any plant's performance based on it's first year in your bed. So much of the bloom depends on the environment the plant was in prior to and up until you bought it. I've worked at a nursery for 9 years, and I can tell you that we get perennials in regularly that have been forced to peak out of season specifically so that we can sell it to the customer in full bloom. Often that process stresses out the plant and, even if it might normally expect a re-bloom, it may not in those circumstances. That being said, Veronicas like a sunny spot with well drained soil. I find they perform best when regularly deadheaded. I have them in a bed I maintain at work, at home, and at a client's site, and they have all performed very well this year. My own are the youngest, in their 3rd year. The others have been in 5 or 6 years. They are prone to powdery mildew, so keep that in mind in regards to watering.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

The point about first-year plants is very well taken, kirimarie.

It would be interesting to know why our experiences are rather different with Veronica spicata and related Veronica hybrids.

I've certainly planted and observed dozens over the last ten years.

Some of the difference in experiences would be in the styles of perennial gardening.

I do mixed perennial beds, which start generally quite low in spring and get successively higher as taller and taller perennials bloom. Other than at the front and on the outside of perennial beds, the most useful smaller plants to me are those that bloom in the spring and then remain under taller plants through the summer to be exposed again to the light as taller plants are cut back in the late summer and the fall.

Of course, I always plant the veronica in sunny locations at the front/on the outside of mixed perennial beds. Perhaps, they don't like such locations. Some (well-behaved) perennials are certainly better mixers than others. For instance, in our circumstances, some of the perennial salvias hold their own very well and have great longevity.

It would be interesting to see how people are using the perennials they talk about.

• juniemarie46
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your input and experiences with v.spicata.
    I will give them another year. They both do look quite healthy, other than the fact that one has not bloomedâ¦.sounds like I'm jumping the gun on expecting better blooming this first year.
    Mine are in full sun, which of course here in NM thats a horse of a different color compared to other parts of the country.
    I think the one that did not bloom is in a spot where there may be too much clay and the drainage is not so good.
    My soil is quite alkaline and prone to clay. I try to add gypsum and crusher fines to lighten the soil when I can.
    I hope it won't mind being dug up and put in a new spot where the drainage will be better.