Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

StoneCrop - Help!

lme5573
11 years ago

I was cleaning out weeds and found this sad little guy - the tag says Postman. I recall buying it 2 years ago, but this year it was hidden when my husband planted a pumpkin which covered it up. Can I take a piece or two and grow it inside this winter, or do they need the winter down time. If we have some nice weather, do you think it could build up enough to winter over properly? I will definitely cover it with leaves and straw when it starts to freeze.

Comments (6)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's another stonecrop that has struggled this year. I'm not sure which one it is, but note the dark stems and it usually has much bigger leaves and spaced closer together. I am making a list and hope that dividing it next spring I'll get better growth. Can anyone ID this one?

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is a shot of the rest of my stonecrop, just so you know I really can grow them some of the time. LOL. I need to divide the white ones next spring, too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Sorry for the multiple posts, but I uploaded from my computer rather than a host.
    Lenore in Michigan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Lenore -

I would leave Postman where it is now and move it in spring if it will have competition again. Sedums AKA stonecrops like full sun, so that is why it looks so sad now. It does need cold winters so can't go indoors, and you don't want to cover it with anything (so no straw, etc.) since trapped moisture will cause sedums to rot.

In general, what is your soil like (moisture and texture such as sandy, clay, organic, etc) where your sedums are thriving vs the second photo where they are struggling? In general, sedums like soil that is well-drained and lots of sun.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks nhbabs for your help. Postman's Delight will get good sun now, and I'll be sure not to cover him w/leaves.

The struggling sedums are actually in the same garden as the good looking sedums. They are in a terraced garden on the east side of my garage. It is sandy soil, and they get lots of sun.

Oh. Now I know. My neighbor's mulberry tree has grown so that it shades that corner of my garden. Darnit. That makes perfect sense now. I'll have to move them out of that corner - find a sunny spot for them in the spring.

Thank you so much for your help, you jogged my brain and helped me solve my puzzle. :-)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Postman's Pride pulled through, although I didn't get it moved in 2013 due to a family emergency.
    I moved it in May and it's growing very well.
    It wasn't big enough to divide, but I'd like to take a cutting or two. Is it too late?

Thanks!
    Lennie in Grand Rapids, MI

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

It looks much better growing in a sunny spot. Not too late to take cuttings. I often root cuttings into the fall from broken off stems. Doesn't take long for rooting, a week or so.