Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

Spacing question

pbl_ge
11 years ago

I'm sure this has been asked before, so bear with me if I'm on tired ground (pun not intended). I'm redoing a long strip by our driveway this year, and to make it interesting I'm trying to make sure it's packed with plants. The strip is about 40' and 3', and that 3' is a bit awkward. Most perennial plants seem to want 14-18" spacing. I'm trying to avoid having two rows of plants throughout--I will of course intersperse large plants, for example.

My question is whether other gardeners, particularly those who like the somewhat wild, overflowing look, use those guidelines strictly. Also, do you have some rule of thumb for whether you've bought the right number of plants for a space (e.g., calculating areas)?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I just plant plants to fill up the space and then move some of them when needed. It is not like they have to stay forever in the same place.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

You will, of course, find what works best for you but I don't follow the spacing guidelines for most perennials and routinely cut it by a third or a half because I'm aiming for that "stuffed" cottage garden look in my garden beds plus I figure that way there's less room for weeds between my plants. The plans in many garden design books display multiples of selected plants in groupings of from three to five or more of a particular perennial for the impact they have during the bloom and/or foliage season. I've stuck with the "groups of three" suggestion and so far have been happy (or as happy as any gardener is) with the results.

Bluestone Perennials sells their plants in three-packs which they tout in their catalog as being the preferred number for the best impact. You'll decide for yourself what works best for the look you want.

I grow most of the perennials on my wants list from seed via winter sowing and therefore don't actually count the number of plants I allocate to a particular growing area. For things I can't grow from seed, I generally buy as many as would be needed for the area I'm trying to design/plant. That said, I generally buy a single plant and keep track of its needs/habits/growth rate for a season or two before buying more if I decide it suits my goal. Just as an example, I bought a single 'Helen Von Stein' lamb's ear two years ago before picking up more this year to use as a border along the curved edge either side of a granite bench. The original plant grew nearly three times its original size which reduced the total number of plants I needed to buy for my "finished" border.

Hope that helps.

• pbl_ge
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bluestone Perennials sells their plants in three-packs which they tout in their catalog as being the preferred number for the best impact.

Oh, how I wish this were still true! They now charge about the same for a single plant as they used to for the 3 packs. Sigh.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I also don't strictly follow size guidelines though I do consider them as well as whether the plant is clumping or spreading in deciding how many and how much space.

The one place I would want to think carefully about spacing and size if I were in your situation is along the driveway edge. Without a photo, I can't judge, but ask yourself about snow shoveling, car door swing, and people stepping out of the car. You probably don't want pollen and dew getting on folks' clothing and legs, don't want branches and bloom stems broken by car doors, or dead foliage and stems where people have ended up walking on an overspilling plant that isn't tolerant of some foot traffic.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

The 3 foot is a problem for a classic perennial bed. The latter, whether it's surrounded by grass or along a side of a garden, needs to be deep enough to get in enough plants for colour throughout the growing season.

Related, is having taller plants towards the centre, or back.

If a bed is too small, or too narrow, to accomodate enough plants, I use a combination of perennials and annuals.

I'm like Wieslaw59, I fill a bed (certainly over-plant a bed for three years down the road) and move or dispose of plants subsequently.

• felisar (z5)
    11 years ago

I too like the 'overstuffed' look and ususally ignore spacing rules EXCEPT for perennials that approach shrub size when established and need proper spacing to achieve full effect. With those I am careful to consider adult size. Perennials for me that fall in that category are: Baptisia, polymorpha persicaria, euporbia palustris, lespedeza and big grasses.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?