Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

So what has survived in your yard that should not have?

paul_
10 years ago

Another post or two on a semi-related note got me to thinking (scary thought that!). When you obtain a plant that you know is not supposed to be hardy in your area -- or supposed to be able to handle the heat for others -- it comes as no surprise when they croak after a season. Knowing this, you either plan on going through the hassle of digging the plant/corm/bulb up and storing in indoors or otherwise sheltered/milder area, or you accept the fact that for you it will be an "annual".

However, what about those plants which have apparently not read the "manual" and survive/come back anyway? For myself .......

Glads ... have had them overwinter -- with no lifting, mulching, or fussing -- for 15+ years now. And, no, these are not the "winter hardy" varieties. Just the regular ol' standards one sees at all the BBSs. (In fact, the time I DID try the "winter hardy" strains/types, THEY all died.) Now some of my returners are planted up against the house in a raised bed. But a bunch of others are out against the shed by the woods.

Dusty Miller, Jacobaea maritima (formerly known as Senecio cineraria), is supposed to be an annual in our northern zones. However, I had a number of plants -- both in aforementioned raised bed as well as under a red maple (again no mulch or special care) -- which returned year after year. Finally, got tired of them and ripped them out.

Snapdragons, used to have quite a few in the raised bed as well as against the house in the back. Had several plants that came back for several years running. And, no, they were NOT reseeds (though always had tons of those). The growth was coming from the prior seasons stem/root system. Considering how extremely shallow rooted Snaps are, I was really amazed by their return. Eventually got tired those and ripped them and their offspring out.

Then there were the two calla lily bulbs that I planted out by the birdbath (middle of the yard). I had originally picked up the bulbs more for the foliage interest than the flowers, and fully expected them to die over the winter. Two of the bulbs came back for several years. Then decided to redo that bed. One of the bulbs was about the size of a softball. Gave that one to a friend of mine. The other was a bit smaller and got moved to a spot about 2ft from where it had been. Wouldn't you know it died that winter?

So what about you?

Comments (15)

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:28

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I don't really qualify on the cold question, because it does not get very cold where I live. But I routinely have pushed other range limits, many times. So your question got me to thinking, Paul, and I don't have many pushed plants at the moment. Some I tried didn't survive the experience, or look about to give up the ghost.

The Arenaria montana is my most heat/zone pushed, I believe. It was actually thriving in its little microclimate--until a raccoon or opossum squished the heck out of it last week while raiding my pond fish.

And my other pushing has been in regards to light levels. I have Choisya (Mexican Orange) growing in full shade, and it even blooms strong.

Not much other pushing going on here at the moment. But it is fun when plants surprise us and return strong, isn't it?

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I have an historic iris that blooms great in full shade. I also have had snaps and dusty miller come back, or rather I was too lazy to clear the beds and they were still growing in the spring when I went to do it. I had one kind of yellow leaf caryopteris that croaked over the winter, so I am trying Little Miss Sunshine and so far it is doing fine, and blooming right now. I am trying a Helenium, even though it probably wants more water than I am likely to give it. We'll see if I remember to be generous to it. So far so good.

• User
    10 years ago

Um, it tends to work out the opposite way for me - those supposedly cast-iron reliable plants....which never see another summer in the blasted wilderness of a windy public allotment. Naturally, I blame pigeons, envious neighbours, weather (always handy), rampaging pets (mine) children (unfortunately mine also), random thieves....anything really, other than the true culprit - my neglectful self.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

I had a bunch survive last winter that should not have:

Begonias (annual--come in 6 ct at Lowes): Sone came back, but they never got very big this year, though.

Star sister dahlias: I am seriously excited about these. They were puny-looking last year, but came back gorgeous this year!

Black and blue salvia: my one clearance plant, bought last year, is HUGE. I have 8 total now. The hummers know me due to this. I love it!

Million bells/calibrachoa: It came back on the old stems.

Snapdragons: I had some survive.

Hyacinths: I heard they did not come back, but most of mine did.

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

All the zone 9 stuff seems to come back for me :) calla, dahlias in certain locations. Our house sits south facing on a hill so perhaps it's warmer here...this has been with no mulch, although I will be doing that this year now that I have cursed myself :)

• david883
    10 years ago

LOL to campanula (only because I know what you mean - I feel your pain). I especially have to laugh at "rampaging pets (mine)". I tell all of my dogs "You're the reason I can't have anything nice!!!"
    But yeah... I managed to kill mint on a few occasions... yup... mint.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

Carolinaflowerlover - I am so excited to hear your starsister dahlia's came back. I think these are some of the prettiest dahlias I've ever had, and I can only find them at Walmart of all places. Two years ago I put some in pots, but this year I put them in the ground. I'm anxious already to see if they'll return next year! Thanks!

I have a bare space in the bed in front of my porch where I can't get anything to grow because the dog jumps off the porch to chase some random squirrel and lands there every time. Some lily bulbs I planted there a few years ago send up shoots every year, get a few inches tall, and are smashed at which point they retreat until next year. But they always come back and put out those couple of inches. I don't even know what color it blooms. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 19:20

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Sara, I bet they will! I did mulch my stuff with leaves. They are sooo pretty! :)

• MsSassyplants
    9 years ago

Im going to revive this oldie because I am soooo excited that so far, my Calibrachoa has survived! Including days below freezing temps which dipped, (without windchill) down to 5 degree F!

And, in keeping with the rest of the thread, what has also survived here which theoretically should not are Callas and Elephant Ears. I also had a begonia survive several winters, mulched, but, as the other poster noted, it stayed very tiny and stunted that growing season.

Winter is not over yet, but I am seriously hoping my Calibrachoa will make it all the way through!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Mine has too be galds as well. Eleven plus years have come back. They are the late summer blooming none hardy gladiolus. Moved them last fall. Then had the horrid winter and thought they were doomed for sure. Yeah, they came back.

Had such luck with these that I also purchase the hardy spring blooming glads and like above they all died.

Love when a seedling shows up after a decade of on longer growing it.

• posierosie_zone7a
    9 years ago

I have also had glads come back, dusty miller and some annual grasses. After last winter being so difficult it was surprising. The glads bloomed like gang budgets and the other two were smaller versions of themselves. I think cannas and dahlias also come back just by looking around my neighborhood. The people who have them are not the type to dig out, store and replant. I have a few dahlias and cannas in the ground this winter as a test.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The bizarrest thing I have is two young avocados now going into their 4th winter. They grew out of home-made compost and I just left them alone to see what would happen. Still only 18 ins tall as they froze to the ground one year.

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

Well, I notice that I misread and posted before about something that bloomed where it shouldn't have, and so sorry about that. I can say that I have a variegated sage plant that has survived three years even though it was marked zone six.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Salvia Melissodora, Mexican Oregano, are rated as zone 9 and both have survived a 12F winter and several 16F winters.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting