Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Better Russian Sage

marcindy
10 years ago

Just to be clear, I really like RS, for all the reasons always cited. If it were just a bit darker in bloom. The bed I have it in is a little ways from my windows, and at that distance it becomes this grey-ish purple blur... I tried Agastache Blue Fortune this year, and it its a great plant, but again, grey-ish blur from a distance. Though my honey bees LOVE it.

Sooo... are there better varieties of RS out there that pack a little more color punch? What about a darker agastache? I want to try Black Adder, but the hardiness to 6b rating always stops me from ordering it. I am 5b, or at least that's what we were, we could have moved up the scale a bit thanks to global warming. Any other good darker blue or purple agastaches out there that can keep my Lemon Queen helianthus and Herbstsonne rudbeckia company?

Comments (3)

• moliep
    10 years ago

Wow! Great question, marcindy! It's one that I've been puzzling over all summer.

I have 2 Herbstsonne rudbeckias in my long, sunny garden. They're striking and get about 7 feet tall. One I've surrounded with Agastache Blue Fortune and I like the look of that, especially because the agastache covers the bottom part of the Herbstonne, which is mostly green leaves anyhow. I don't might the grayish blue tones.

I wouldn't use Russian Sage because, in my experience, it becomes rampant when planted in rich soil. My RS grows into and between everything and becomes difficult to pull out. Plus its bloom time is not as long as the Herb's.

I tried Verbena bonariensis but that didn't work either. So I'll be looking for everyone's suggestions to you!

Molie

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

While species Agastache have been reliable performers/reseeders in my zone, I've not found that any of the cultivars have returned after a season or two. I've grown any number of them from seed via winter sowing without seeing any success in their second year. Even the volunteer Verbena bonariensis that showed up in my garden a couple of years ago has disappeared.

Normally seed-grown winter sown perennials are hardier than nursery-grown plants but I haven't found Agastache particularly hardy compared to other perennials that are more zone-appropriate.

Wish I could be of more help. I love RS and have paired it with Gaura lindheimeri in my cottage garden bed but thanks to wet conditions it hasn't prospered. In my garden the RS either gets full sun + too much water or appropriate moisture + too little sun.

The zone thing may still be a problem but check out Tricyrtis hirta/toad lily. Mine are blooming now in both full shade and part sun--might work for you. Missouri Botanical Garden website rates it hardy to Z4. The flowers are speckled purple & white. Oh, and the bees love them.

• jadeite
    10 years ago

I've seen many posts on this forum on how difficult it is to keep agastache going in cooler wetter climates. I have Black Adder and Blue Blazes and love them, but I live in the Southwest where agastaches are everywhere.

How about salvia? There are many beautiful deep purple/blues that would make a striking contrast with the heleniums and rudbeckia. I've grown East Friesland, Marcus, May Night. All are hardy to Z5.

Or lavender - Hidcote or Munstead are both striking deep blues. I grew Hidcote in Z5 and it came back reliably every year.

If a shrub would be acceptable, caryopteris Dark Knight is a vibrant deep blue.

None of these has as long a flowering season as RS, but all have deep color.

Cheryl