Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Moving Coreopsis Plants

mary_max
11 years ago

I have some coreopsis plants that I want to move. I can simply pull them out of soil and then plant elsewhere. They are very easy to get out with a very gentle tug. I will them plant in other locations. Do you think this is the time for zone 5 to move them. ALso do you think it will work planting bare roots? Over cast today but will be in the 80's tomorrow.

Comments (7)

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Given sun and a bit of water, find the older Coreopsis (have dealt with C. grandiflora 'Sunray', C. grandiflora 'Early Sunrise' and C. lanceolata 'Sterntaler') seed around, but the seedlings are extremely easy to remove.

I wouldn't hesitate to move the seedlings/small plants around now, but would certainly then supply them with more water than the established Coreopsis.

When I have moved them, have tried to dig out seedling/small plant Coreopsis with a bit of soil (roots more or less in situ), but I'd think that not keeping the soil moist after moving the seedlings is what would prove fatal.

If necessary, have temporarily kept them in pots.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you SunnyBorders for answering my question! Yes they were seedlings/small plants just flowering this summer. I actually think these things can be used as annuals in our area. What are your thoughts on this? I never planted these plants they just self seeded and put on a nice show most of the summer. What a deal! I decided to move them to a better location in the back. I will go ahead with my project now that I heard from you. Thanks again.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Hi Mary Max.

Don't claim to be an expert on Coreopsis, but they've (at least the older ones) treated me well!

Currently (within the last two years) using 'Jethro Tull' (readily available here). Don't know enough about it, to suggest anything.

As said, the older Coreopsis have really saved my bacon. Along with the gaillardia, they've taken care of spots I was really concerned about (notably re watering).

If the location is right (usual story with perennials!), sun and a bit of water (in my case, the sprinkler system, set for the lawn, reached them), the older Coreopsis (at least) are work horses of the sunny perennial garden edge.

I'd bet you they can be used as annuals (location allowing).

You're right. What a deal!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

since you are hemming and hawing over a couple posts.. let me give you the short answer:

DO IT NOW.. ASAP.. GET IT DONE ...

just do it

ken

ps: leave some where they are.. so if you lose them.. others will be there to move in spring ...

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Ken's a person of action and he's right!

Like that ps.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

not really.. ken is a motivator for other to act..

in my garden.. nothing ever seems to get done... lol

ken

ps: mostly cuz i waste too much time on this infernal machine.. lol ...

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

I just moved a bunch myself this week that were still looking beautiful and flowering. I'm in zone 6 CT. Usually I cut back perennials when I move them if they are in flower but I didn't this time bc I got lazy. The coreopsis did not skip a beat. They still look wonderful. Some of the easiest plants I have ever seen. I have 6 different kinds. I'd have to look up the tags to remember exactly which though.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry