Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Is pineapple sage a perennial in my zone?

mxk3 z5b_MI
9 years ago

Plain ol' culinary sage acts as a perennial in my zone, and am wondering about pineapple sage. It is a lovely plant and doing quite well, if it is perennial up here I won't dig it and toss out during fall clean-up, I'd like to keep it.

Comments (7)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Pineapple sage is chancy Z8b. Daves garden has them down for 8a at 10F but I have had them die warmer than that. I highly doubt that Z5b-6 will cut it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah well, at least herbs are inexpensive and easily replaced :0)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

One could take cuttings off of it in the fall and root it for the spring. I bet your space is already eaten up with other plants. Do you have a cold garage. I do not know how they store in the dark. I have not don it. I could get bu mulching mine and letting it come back from the roots but I have too many plants that I am already stressing the envelope on and it took a rear seat on the priority ladder. It also wanted more water than I like to hand out ( person thing).

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

I grow my pineapple sage in a pot that I bring in when temperatures drop - I've had it going well for years. I keep it cut off, using the leaves, so it is essentially a mounding kind of shape.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, come to find out, it's only hard to 20 degrees. It would die even if potted and stored in the garage over the winter. I think I'll just take a cutting or buy a new plant in the spring, no biggie.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Nope - it isn't a perennial here. I sometimes manage to overwinter a plant but even in my greenhouse, they are iffy. On the other hand, one tiny plant, bought in spring, would provide cuttings for a dozen people to share...and have sizeable plants by late summer when they finally show some flowers (mine are just emerging).

• linlily
    9 years ago

Wish it was perennial here. I had a plant that someone from down south sent me and I really enjoyed it that year. I'd love to try it again but I forget to try to find some in the spring.

Linda