Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelskies_gw

datura called moon flower?

steelskies
10 years ago

I have a large number of datura that reseeded themselves from last year. Actually I had to pull a bunch out because there were so many. They are beautiful at night.

I was at a well known garden center this weekend and they had these for sale, but called them Moon Flowers.

I though Moon Flowers were a vine plant? I planted some of these seeds (the vine kind) but had no luck with them coming up, so I still don't know what an actual, true, moon flower looks like or how it grows. I would like to have both kinds.

But is Datura and Moon Flower used interchangeably?

Any any hints on how to get my moon flower vine seeds to actually grow. I've planted them several years now with no luck.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

we would need an accurate latin name of exactly what you are trying to germinate.. to give you a precise answer ...

your own choice of words.. shows the possible confusion...

ken

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

There is a white datura inoxia that is also called moonflower in my mother's area. Sometimes people posting about moonflower will add vine or datura descriptor which leads me to believe that both terms are commonly used for both plants in many areas.

Other plants are called moonflower as well. I mostly use Latin names to avoid the confusion.

Have you tried nicking or scratching the coat of the vine, impomoea alba, seeds before planting? Or soaking them overnight? I have had good germination with winter sowing them but they bloom very late for me so I no longer plant them.

Check out the annual forum for more info about impomeoa alba by using the search box near the bottom of the annuals page.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

A Google search turns up the botanical (Latin) name for moonflower is Ipomoea alba while the botanical name for datura is Datura stramoneum. The common names for Datura stramoneum include moonflower and jimson weed.

But is Datura and Moon Flower used interchangeably?

From what I read, it would appear the term moonflower is used for more than one genus.

• steelskies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll post picture. Have no idea of latin name but they come up every year. I didn't think they were hardy in this zone either, but I guess they reseed very easily. This is the datura, not the vining moon flower, which I think is similar to a morning glory vine.

• rober49
    10 years ago

the bees linger after dark on them

• steelskies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous!!!!! Yes, that's the moon flower vine I've been trying to grow for years. No luck this year either. I notice there are very few seeds in a packet, and the seeds are BIG. Wish they were are vigorous as my morning glories. I have to pull those out by the bucket full every summer; way too many growing everywhere!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I have seen Datura listed as "moonflower" at the local nursery.

• User
    10 years ago

um, Moonflower, aka calynyction aculeatum, aka ipomea alba is the vine whereas your picture shows a datura, aka brugmansia (inoxia?) - botanists, hey! - aka jimson weed and a host of other common names.

Even the Latin nomenclature lets us down sometimes

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Don't even bother trying to start the moonflower seeds unless you can keep them toasty and warm. They really won't germinate unless the soil temperatures are kept higher such as with a heat mat. Also as others have said, try sanding, filing or nicking the seed coat.