Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atharaenea

Did I kill my butterfly bush?

Atharaenea
9 years ago

I bought a butterfly bush in early August, and planted it on the west side of my apartment where it gets sun from about noon to sunset. I planted it in a well drained area with Miracle Grow garden soil, and mulched on top of that. At the time, it had lots of flowers and seemed okay.

Then I got an infestation of spider mites, and didn't catch it until they'd already done a lot of damage. I treated it and all surrounding plants with Forbid 4F, and that did the trick. But it still looked in rough shape for a few weeks after that, so I gave it about a gallon of properly diluted multi-purpose Miracle Grow fertilizer.

It's been looking worse and worse ever since, and that was almost 2 weeks ago. There are only a few green leaves left on it, the rest has gone white, and 1 tiny flower clump.

I started giving it at least a gallon of water every day starting 1 week ago, on the assumption that I over-fertilized and I needed to wash away the fertilizer. It hasn't improved, and if anything it seems worse. What do I do? I don't want it to die...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio