Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning agastache

Posted by forensicmom 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 14:59

I usually prune my off in the early spring when I see new growth starting. This is a beautiful plant. I have 'Blue Fortune' and 'Golden Jubilee'.

My question is about height control. The 'Blue Fortune' is gorgeous but it gets a little bit too big and totally covers up the blanket flowers and yarrow next to it.

Is it possible to prune or pinch this for height control? If so, when and how?

Here's a picture of it last month.Agastache

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning agastache

Absolutely. I would prune it to 3" when it gets to 6" and you could even prune it again to 6" when it gets to 1'. It all depends on how controlled you want it and how high it grows in its current location. Experiment. I hope that helps. Have fun!

o

I'm going to have to remember this for next year, my golden jubilee got very leggy this year and kept telling myself I need to prune it back. Now it's September, a wee bit too late to prune back for shape now since it'll be going sleepy here soon.

Karen

o

Does your 'Blue Fortune' look that blue all summer? If so, you're really fortunate! Mine fades out to a dirty/dusty looking pale blue. Mine is in full sun all day here in zone 7, but you're in zone 7.

The Goldfinch love to eat the BF seeds here in my garden, so I'm leaving it for now. Not pretty, but it's bird food.

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here