Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about perennial cuttings

Posted by beca 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 15:11

Is it easy to take cuttings of both lavandula angustifolia (english lavendar) and a blue mist bluebeard caryopteris (clandonensis)? I want to add a couple to a new garden bed...wondered if I could take cuttings instead of buying new plants. Obviously if I can they would be planted in the spring since I am in zone 7.

Thanks
Beca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about perennial cuttings

either try the propagation forum ..

or try googling something like :

'lavandula angustifolia propagation'

caryopteris is a shrub in my world.. and it is very tricky to root woody stems.. including greenhouses.. heated media.. rooting hormones.. and incredibly specific TIMING issues ... [or downright blind luck.. lol] ..

good luck

ken

ps: is this where you tell me you have a greenhouse????

o

Beca - Caryopteris/blue mist shrub is very easy to grow from seed via winter sowing. I harvest seeds from my plant every year in mid-October. According to my sprout chart, I winter sowed the seeds 12/24 and they sprouted 4/20. It also self-sows from what I've heard; your plant might provide you with seedlings you could transplant to your new bed.

I also winter sowed lavandula angustifolia for the first time this year. It's another excellent WS candidate. My winter sown plants are already 8 inches tall and very healthy. They took about the same amount of time to germinate as the blue mist seeds: sowed on 12/23; sprouted on 4/15. I got the seeds in a trade but they're readily available from a number of online seed vendors, Swallowtail & Hazzard's among them.

o

Caryopteris roots in a glass of water in the window in a matter of days. Try it in the Spring.

The lavender is another story. I would skip trying to root that one. It's not easy!

o

Sheesh..thanks..I didn't even think to look at the propagation forum...go figure that out. If I had thought about planting this bed earlier in the year I could have found the plants but I doubt I will now until spring-unless I go online $$. Hence the propagation question.

Getting the timing right is always fun in gardening, isn't it?

BTW-Ken I have a greenhouse :) But it's new and it's my first year learning how to use it.

Beca (who is now off to look at the propagation forum...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here