Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Having that sort of weekend

Karolina11
10 years ago

As all of the northerners know, fall is a busy busy time! Planting, cleaning up, mulching, etc, it never ends.

Well going into the weekend I thought I was set. I had planted two trees ahead of schedule and had finished weeding half of my beds. I was expecting a shipment of plants Saturday morning so the goal was to plant those before our other activities that afternoon and finish some clean up on Sunday. Murphy's law kicked in though.

I got up early on Saturday to start the holes as FedEx always gets here around nine with my shipments on Saturday. Well nine passed, so did ten, eleven, and twelve. I eventually emailed the place where I ordered to make sure they had shipped correctly and they said yes. So 45 minutes before we had to leave the order arrived. It is now pouring and as I open my order I realize they forgot a tree! Never had that happen. So I let them know and went off to try to put stuff in the ground in the pouring rain. Had to stop shortly as trying to plant young trees in the wind and rain just was not working. Plan foiled.

So I got up early Sunday. Before doing much, the SO asked me to clear some of the cardboard out of the garage. The back part of our property is a wooded area that I have been slowly weeding and getting back to usable. I have been putting down newspaper and cardboard in the areas I was designating to be paths. So I hauled the cardboard out of the garage and into the woods and began the task. Leaned over to fix a piece of cardboard and surprisingly had a mouse run across my feet. Of course I shrieked like a little girl and stumbled backwards. Right into the thicket of poison ivy I had been spraying and chopping back all summer.

Needless to say, I am definitely behind after this weekend.

Anyone else having that sort of weekend?

In good news, the purpurea tricolor Beech (aka Fagus sylvatica 'Roseo-Marginata') that came in looked wonderful. I can't wait for it to get settled.

Comments (7)

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Yikes! Too funny about the mouse, I can totally picture doing the same thing. Tricolor beech sounds like a real beauty!

Isn't funny how plans look so easy on paper, until reality takes a hold?

My weekend is much better than yours but I had a good moment here in the kitchen when I satisfyingly placed jars of pickles into the boiling water canner and realized I forgot to add the pickle crisp. No big deal, I can take the jars out and add the pickle crisp. Except for that now is when it dawns on me that my usual jar lifter to take the jars out of the water does not fit around these brand new jars which are very wide. Hmm, now the jars are stuck in boiling water with no way to get them out. I managed to extricate them without burning myself, but I was foolish and lucky. Note to self - need new tongs or something before using those jars again!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I was kind of proud of myself because I put together a schedule of things to do and everything was right on track. In fact I was kind of ahead of myself. The goal this year was to not be caught by surprise and have all the things done that needed to be done before the first killing frost arrives - there are plants that have to be brought in before it gets too cold - orchids, colocasia etc. That HAS to be done soon.

Well, the racoons finally decided to attack the pond at night. All summer long they left it alone, so I never bothered to put up the electric fence. It doesn't make sense to put that thing up now, so the pond has suddenly become the number 1 priority. I have to save the water lilies and the fish if they haven't been eaten already. I HATE draining the pond! It's messy, I haven't filled the indoor aquarium for the fish yet, plus because the weather is still nice, the wasps are constantly around the pond which means I can only work on draining the thing very early in the morning before the wasps are active.

I guess on the bright side, the pond draining will get done early this year. It really is a vile task.

Kevin

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

What's that old quote - Life is what happens when you're making other plans (or something like that,,,)

Sorry you're having one of those weekends. It seems all my weekends have been not going according to schedule lately (but minus the mouse!).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Of course I shrieked like a little girl and stumbled backwards.

==>> i have done that too ... and i got to tell you.. it isnt very manly ....

though i didnt stumble into the PI patch ...

ken

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

HAHA I'd pay to see Ken scream like a girl !!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

HAHA I'd pay to see Ken scream like a girl !!

Wouldn't we all?

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely agreeing with the above!

Kevin, I would have never even imagined raccoons going after pond fish! Learn something new everyday. What size tank do you keep them in indoors?

Karin, my aunt keeps talking about how we should grow and can some vegetables. I've never done it because I just know I would forget something with so many steps! Glad you were able to retrieve them without hurting themselves!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012