Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Persicaria/Falopia/Polygonum Growers Please!

arbo_retum
14 years ago

I am hoping one of you will educate me about the final word on the nomenclature for the japanese knotweed family of persicaria, falopia, polygonum.It is sooo confusing!! I'm also hoping some of you will tell me any experiences you have had with varieties that are not on the list below.

I have long touted this genus and I am thinking of writing an article on its value in the home garden.But I know my knowledge is limited. I grow and have experience with:

Falopia variegata

Falopia Crimson Beauty

Persicaria Lance Corporal

Persicaria Red Dragon

Persicaria Golden Arrow

Polygomun bistorta superbum

Polygonum affine dimity

Thanks so much for your help.

mindy

The Cotton-Arbo retum

cottonarboretum@comcast.net

Comments (12)

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

The only one that is not on your list that I've grown is Persicaria Firetail. I planted it in the fall of 2007 from a 4" pot. Second year in the ground it is about 3' wide by 3'tall (to tip of flower). Very full foliage and lots of flowers. The flowers are a nice deep shade of red open mid summer and last well into October. Probably my longest bloomer. Usually my last flower to go down. It is well behaved, at least in my garden, and looks more like a small shrub. I really like it.

Alexis

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

I have not grown Persicaria polymorpha myself, but I've seen it several times and have only heard good things. It looks great.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ha! i knew i forgot to include some on my list; here is the corrected list:

Falopia variegata
    Falopia Crimson Beauty
    Persicaria Lance Corporal
    Persicaria Red Dragon
    Persicaria Golden Arrow
    Persicaria polymorpha
    Polygonum amplexicaulis Taurus and Firetail
    Polygonum bistorta superbum
    Polygonum affine dimity

man, that really is alot isn't it? I never wrote them all down before. i sure know i don't grow that many of any other perennial genus. I guess i must really like them!

please ,youall, send me some more!thank you.

best,
    Mindy
    The Cotton-Arbo retum

• mindysuewho
    14 years ago

I planted one plant of Persicaria Painter's Palette from Bluestone Nurseries in Spring 2008. It quickly grew into a bush. It is a beautiful plant. However, it reseeded prolifically this spring. I pulled out probably 50 or more seedlings. A few seedlings I transplanted to other areas and they are growing fine. Aside from the reseeding, it's a perfect plant for dry shade in my yard.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I don't know if you are intersted in this kind or not, but I grow Persicaria affinis (sometimes called affine I think) 'Himalayan Border Jewel'. I have seen this cultivar called just 'Border Jewel' and the common name Himalayan Knotweed.
    This is a groundcover kind of knotweed, though it has never gone beyond a small-ish mat for me. Seems to spread more in areas that do not have hard-packed soil (for me that means sandy spots in my garden). I have had it for about five years. It has only bloomed ONCE, and that was when I bought it, lol! It does get some sun, but maybe not enough. Maybe I need to give it a stern talking to. Hey, it worked with the Phlomis...;-)

-Mindy, how invasive do you find the P. bistorta superba/suberbum? I love the look of it, but have avoided it because of the horror storries.
    Hope you will let us know if you write that article (on your blog??) on them.
    CMK

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cmk, it definitely spreads aggressively but it is really easy to remove/move.It does not have one of those prolific fragile fibrous root systems -like aegopodium- that makes aegopodium almost impossible to eradicate. The greatest things about it, for me, are that it blooms for TWO months, may and june;its pink is a lovely true pink w/ no purple or blue; it reblooms a bit in fall;it very quickly becomes a solid weed suppressant mat;it offers that unique textural and height counterpoint; and no pests eat it (unlike one of its moisture-loving kind of neighbors, lysimachia punctata, which gets slug-devoured.)
    Also, i always have lots to sell!! It's a great plant to throw into a bed where you just don't have the right stuff to plant yet, but you want to keep the weeds out til you do plant it.

best,
    mindy

{{gwi:271433}}

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

I know Crimson Beauty as Persicaria. I grow both it and P. polymorpha, both great plants and completely non invasive, either by root spread or seeding (none for either). They are, however, enormous plants.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lacey, do tell about the crimson beauty. this is my 1st yr w it and i see nothing crimson. what does it do for you
    (both literally and figuratively!) ?

best,
    Mindy

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Mindy, I've had Crimson Beauty for 5 or 6 years. The flowers open ivory, but very soon start to deepen to a rich cherry red. It's magnificent--the crown must spread 15 feet and in front of it is a Miscanthus gracillimus. In front and around the sides of the Miscanthus are Perovskia and Sedum 'Autumn Joy'. At one point, the color of the 'Autumn Joy' and the 'Crimson Beauty' are identical. Off to the right and a little further back is a M. 'Malepartus'. I view this from my back porck, and when the whole thing is back lit in late afternoon, it takes my breath away for about 3 weeks.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lacey, sounds spectacular. Now i'm curious, the nearby perovskia and sed.- I consider drought tolerant/want great drainage. Except for lance corporal, all my persicaria (polyg, falop.) seem happiest in moist soil. Not yours?

best,
    Mindy

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

No not moist soil. Sandy, very fast draining.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

My only experience has been with persicaria polymorpha. It is almost shrub-like. It is a great plant if you have need of a huge plant that makes a statement all by itself. I have never seen insects or disease on it and I have had it for years. I never give it any extra water or fertilizer.

Great plant!

glenda

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm