Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Gentian

mxk3 z5b_MI
9 years ago

I have to say, I quite enjoyed gentian this summer. I bought one on a whim last fall, I had been curious about gentian for some time and when I saw it at the nursery I figured what the heck. I planted it next to some ferns around the back side of the bed (moist bright shade, maybe an hour or two of afternoon sun) and forgot about it. When I noticed it this summer, I was struck by those gorgeous blooms, that rich blue color is stunning! It still has a few blooms on it, and the plant itself has stayed nice and tidy - foliage is nothing to write home about and I wouldn't consider it front of the border material, but it is fine.

I can't remember whether it is cross gentian or "True Blue". I was at the nursery today and picked up two "True Blue" to add to the planting. The nursery had both cross gentian and TB, but I decided to get the TB. Does anyone know the difference between the two? They looked the same to me other than cross gentian was taller and flopping; it was a larger, more mature plant, though. Flowers looked same on both, and plant tag indicated same height for both.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with gentian, glad I finally tried it!

Comments (5)