Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Plse Add your Location next to your Zone

arbo_retum
14 years ago

mary lu,donna, and all GW posters

In your moniker/I.D., DO add your location next to your zone. Z.5 in the midwest is VERY different from z.5 in new england, for example.

I guess some people are afraid to list their town. I list mine and it has been very helpful over the years. But if you don't want to list your town, at least list the part of your state (i.e. upper NYS or So. Cal. or No.Mich)because it will make the posting info that you offer- much more valuable to the viewer. The same goes with GW members attempting to give you the best help. Listing this info in your I.D. saves those potential posters one step -from having to ask you where you are- before they try to give you the most helpful advice.

Comments (9)

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

Keep GW friendly! We don't need to start arguments here.
    I think people can make up their own minds about the information they wish to give. If you are bothered by other posters, you do not need to respond to a post.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Another vote for keeping GW friendly but, it really is a help to know the location of the poster especially if this person is looking for help with a problem, advice on which plants will do well for them etc.
    The zone 8 that I garden in and the Zone 8 say Georgia (I think :o) is in are like night and day. We are both classed as Zone 8 but our climates are totally different, what works for me doesn't for them. Plus if I know the posters location I don't come up with egg on my face by giving them the wrong advice.

Annette

• phyl345
    14 years ago

huh? ~~ what was in arbo's post that was unfriendly???

just askin' ~~

phyl, who sure hopes this isn't coming across as being unfriendly (grin)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Mindy was just trying to be helpful, there was nothing unfriendly about it. Sometimes the written word is just taken the wrong way, ask me, no don't ask me how I know this LOL.

Annette

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

It really is a big help in having a location listed too. I don't have my city down, because most people wouldn't know my city. So I list southeast Wisc. next to my zone.
    I don't think there was anything unfriendly about the post either. After re-reading her post, I would think the only thing where offense might be taken is in naming a few posters. But I think the post was meant as being a helpful and time saving idea.
    JMHO

Kat

• patlovesdirt
    14 years ago

It is a big help to know the exact location, cause the feedback will be more relevant and helpful. But that post came across to me as a bit snotty and overbearing - that was the unfriendly part. Sorry, but you can make a good point without making a poster feel badly about what they did wrong!

• ego45
    14 years ago

The story is as old as a World...
    Part 1.
    No Good Intention (Deed) Goes Unpunished.
    Part 2.
    The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

BTW, I'm with you on a subject, Mindy.

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Mindy has voiced her frustration about this issue on more than one occasion and l believe she has a valid point. I do think however that her frustration may be misdirected I think it should be addressed to Garden Web powers that be directly, after all the fix is so easy if when a new member is completing their profile for the first time zone and region was mandatory this would not be an issue.
    Mindy I would suggest you contact GW and make that suggestion or write a post giving members instructions on how they can add their zone and region feel free to edit for clarity what I have written below. If you are a woman with a mission you might post those instructions on each and every forum, or at least those you spend time at. Katy

At the very bottom of this page in the green bar select Member Services
    This will open GardenWeb Members page, select If you are a member already, please log in! (note that you may need to do this even if you are already logged in)
    This will open your Members page, select Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences (note you will be asked to log in againÂwhat can I say itÂs GardenWeb) you will now be able to edit your member profile.
    Below gender you can add your Garden Zone and region (mine for example is z7aMA.) If you do not know what your zone is now would be a good time for you to find out and GW makes this easy by providing a link Find Your Zone enter your zip code and wala GardenWeb will tell you what your zone isÂ

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kt, how wonderful of you to take the time to make it easier for GW people to add their location.
    th much,
    mindy