Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with this Pre-planned garden!

Posted by eclecticme 5-Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 15:59

I planted a butterfly pre-planned garden that I purchased from Bluestoneperennials.com earlier this year. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions as I really have no clue what I'm doing....

1. Do you know what this perennial is?
What is eatting the leaves?
What do I do to prevent it?

Photobucket

Another photo of the same plant:

Photobucket

2. Does anyone know what this is?

Photobucket

3. Any finally, could someone please tell me what this is?

Photobucket

As I stated, these were part of a pre-planned garden. Here's what was in the box... but I still cant tell from the photos on Blue Stone's website, which flowers these are... I told you I didnt know what I was doing. Right?

What was in the box:

Phlox Sherwood Purple
Caryopteris Longwood Blue
Echinacea Purpurea
Origanum Rosenkuppel
Aster September Ruby
Herb Chives
Achillea Paprika
Rudbeckia Goldsturm
Agastache Honey Bee Blue
Coreopsis Early Sunrise
Monarda Raspberry Wine
Sedum Brilliant
Buddleia Honeycomb

Thanks is advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with this Pre-planned garden!

If I only can choose from the list, the first plant resembles Rudbeckia Goldsturm most. Anything can eat the leaves, from snails through slugs to insects.The second plant looks a little like an Agastache.

o
RE:: Please help with this Pre-planned garden!

Thanks for the help. I assume that photos are from something on the list because there area was completely bare before I planted the stuff from the box. There werent any weeds or anything. Just dirt.

o

Check to see if any of the stems are square instead of round. Agastache & monarda/bee balm are in the mint family and have square stems. Leaves in photo #3 (your question #2) look like monarda/bee balm.

Sprinkle crushed eggshells around newly-planted perennials. The slugs won't crawl over them because the shells cut them. The eggshells also feed the soil as they decompose. Can't help with flying marauders but I do know ways to discourage the slithering kind.

o

Try to rub a leaf of the plant #2 with your fingers. If it smells similar to mint then it is an Agastache. If it smells more like a lemon, than it is a Monarda.

o
RE::: Please help with this Pre-planned garden!

Gosh, you gals and guys are so smart!!! The stems are indeed square and it smells like lemon. So, I will assume it is Monarda Raspberry Wine. Besides, the Agastache Honey Bee Blue is blooming somewhere else in my little patch of land right now.
Thanks!

Any idease about the last photo?

o

First one is echinacea. Last one is origanum.

o

Also very effective for slugs and organic as well are Sluggo and Escar-Go.

o

A thin layer of sand will discourage snails.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here