Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Always O.K. to Combine Vines, incl. Golden Hops?

Posted by arbo_retum z5 WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 16:11

As of this summer,on 2 adjacent 8'trellises i have growing together lonicera maj. wheeler, clematis rhapsody and golden hops.The last is a very aggressive plant and it is fine for me if it grows up the overhanging pitch roof, but i'm wondering if it might be harmful in some way to the other 2 vines.(fyi,the lonicera finished blooming a month or more ago and the rhapsody has just finished.)Any like experiences out there? thanks much for your help.
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Always O.K. to Combine Vines, incl. Golden Hops?

i watched a beer show on discovery or something or another..

and you should have seen the hops growing farm .... they wired these things to grow 20 feet straight up ....

sounds like something that could collapse a trellis ...

here is the source for the link below: http://humptydumpty.typepad.com/hdb/2007/10/hop-harvest-gol.html

ken

ps: does it smell like beer when you crush the leaves????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

And it can creep beneath, and lift, roofing. A very bad thing.

o

I've grown golden hops on an arbor I built for a number of years. In the last two years it has gotten big enough to cover twenty feet on the east side of the house. I think the Lonicera and Clematis are okay together, but it might be a good idea to take the hops out. It would likely overwhelm and shade out the other guys in a few years, once mature.
CMK

o

come on mindy .. fess up .. you got a still hidden in the back of the arb ....

do the liquor g-men know?? eliot ness is comin for ya .. lol ...

ken

o

Hops can also be deadly to dogs, just in case you have a furry friend.

o

It's a very good question :-) I always try to keep in mind both the growth habits and any pruning requirements before combining vines. As a rule, I will not combine any very aggressive vine with a less aggressive one....the more aggressive one always wins, usually to the detriment of the lesser. I'd consider hops to be on the upper end of aggressiveness.....any vine that can grow 30' or more in a single season wins my prize for aggressive behavior! Not to mention battling with root spread and associated shoots. Plus, its a scratchy devil to try and prune back in season.

I also will only combine clematis with other clematis with similar pruning requirements. It just simplifies things so much.

AFA hops being dangerous to dogs, that has only been established with certain breeds (namely greyhounds) and only if a reasonable quantity is ingested. In fact, extract of hops is a common ingredient in a joint pain relief medication used by veterinarians so can't be all that toxic. A golden hop vine and a previous pet Cocker spaniel did not get along well however.....the raspy and amazingly fast growing vine stems would grab at her soft coat and tangle her up so that she couldn't make her way back inside. I'd have to go out with my shears and rescue her -- THAT'S when I decided to get rid of my hop vine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here