Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

HELP..Phlox not blooming!

lesmc
10 years ago

I am not an accomplished gardener but I love my garden and work so hard on it. Phlox is such a mainstay and I have really had a problem. The leaves have turned a molted color and I had NO blooms this year. Could this be powdery mildew inoculum? Is this in the soil? Does it mean I have to dig them out and throw away? Any suggestion or info would be so helpful to me. Any sprays to help...just any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Lesley

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Powdery mildew is very commonplace on most phlox varieties and looks like this:

{{gwi:271675}}

Generally it is more of a cosmetic issue than a real concern for the health of the plant and typically has no effect on its ability to flower. Powdery mildew is a seasonal issue, usually appearing in late summer when soils are very dry, daytime temperatures still warm and there is lots of evening condensation (high dewpoint). Is also very common in areas with more shade than sun and where plants are crowded (lack of air circulation).

You do not have to treat either the soil or dig and toss the plants. Just cut back and discard or compost the top growth at the end of the season. Fungicides can help but they are only preventative, not curative......typically when you see the problem it's too late to do a lot about it.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Sounds like a powdery mildew fungus.

Spores from the fungi can overwinter in plant debris on/in the soil and as you say inoculate next years phlox with the fungal spores. Hence more powdery mildew.

We love phlox and have many in a relatively confined space.

I take it that it's absolutely necessary to cut garden phlox down to ground level and remove all plant debris, in fall, to limit the inoculation (at least here).

Re blooming and other phlox health/hygiene variables: I'd say garden phlox do best with regular division, thinning out, soil upgarding, enough sun and watering when necessary.

Of course, the cultivar and local conditions are important considerations.

Below powdery mildew starting(?) on an older No Name phlox on Sept 6, 2013. I would have cut it down by then, but we were having guests and we didn't want to cut any colour out of the garden.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I grow Phlox paniculata/tall garden phlox for the pollinators who don't seem to care if the leaves aren't attractive so I've pretty much left my dozen or so plants alone the past several years. They come up & bloom every season...I don't ask much more of my perennials than that to be honest. Did some of them get powdery mildew? Sure. Did I treat it? Nope. Are my plants blooming their heads off this year? Yes. Granted we've had an excess of rain this season but they've all bloomed/are blooming prolifically.

Your plants may just need a season or two to settle into your garden beds before blooming. Gardening isn't a season; it's a journey. Enjoy the scenery.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!