Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Honorine Jobert

For me this particular J Anemone gives the nicest flower of any of the JA. This pictured plant gets not much direct sun and so it grows very tall and blooms later than it might otherwise. Here it is today as of mid September.

Comments (27)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Yes - I love them too. Here are some of mine. Can you tell me what the delicate pink flower is? Looks like an Epimedium but too late in the year for that I would have thought. Thalictrum??

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yours are wonderful 'flora'!

And you are correct ie. the pink flowers are from a very nearby Thalictrum "Splendide". In fact I had to cut away several large sprigs of blooms from this thalictrum to get a picture showing directly the Anemone flowers.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Rouge.

As you know, I've not got over my suspicion of Japanese anemones (some are extremely invasive).

Still I've never met a Thalictrum or an Epimedium that couldn't be managed!

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Homorine Jobert is my favorite, too! Unfortunately, is was completely removed during an A. robustissima eradication effort at our previous house. :( I've been intending to purchase some more plants, but have been holding out to get them in bloom. My fear of switched tags was fueling that hesitation, but it is time to shop. Thank you for the reminder.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Yes, she is a beauty and has stood the test of time :0)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Nice pics all, thanks for posting. I've been thinking for awhile now that I need a HJ in this one area of the garden that is lacking a pop of white. I have been a bit hesitant though because of the invasive factor- my 'Robustissima' runs like mad so at times I have second thoughts. But from all I have read this cultivar is a bit slower? Or does it really take off leaps and bounds once established a few years?
    CMK

• david883
    10 years ago

Amazing! Every time I see anyone here post pics of JAs it makes me wish I hadn't killed the two I received in a plant exchange. They just didn't want to live for me and its not like I didn't try! And now I hear about them being invasive... maybe I don't want them... with all their attitude :P

But seriously, its beautiful. I remember your pictures of the Thalictrum "Splendide" and I'm still jealous over that. Once I find somewhere to put one here you can bet I'll be out hunting for one!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Honorine Jobert isn't invasive, in my experience. She does spread into lush mounds if happy but isn't overly aggressive.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info mxk3. I vaguely remember trying her years and years ago and yes, I managed to kill her. Lol. She really didn't seem all that vigorous...
    CMK

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had this particular HJ plant for about 3 years and it has stayed exactly where put. It is slow to emerge in the spring and grows quite slowly in (to much) shade. But it does its thing come September....luv it.

• florauk
    10 years ago

"...slow to emerge in the spring ..." that's interesting, rouge21, HJ is evergreen in my climate but still not a problem keeping itwithin bounds. I just pull out any bits wandering too far.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Waaaaaaaaah!!! I've been waiting patiently for my 3 HJ to bloom. After seeing pics a couple years ago here of her, I remembered how much I loved her in my old garden and finally got some. Well, this evening I went out and the woodchuck ate all the buds! Yes, I'm sure it was the woodchuck. We've been co-existing for quite some time now, but eating the HJ after all my anticipation was not a very nice thing to do! Oh well, better luck next year.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Same HJ plant a couple of weeks later. It has been great fall weather here for all of September i.e. sunny warm days, some wet weather and cooler nights. This is my favourite weather of the whole year...good to be alive...did I just say that?

• valeriepa
    10 years ago

I have found it invasive in partial shade with rich soil, but not in full sun in nonamended soil.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I love this plant but don't find it to be very vigorous yet. Mine started blooming on September 1 and is still going strong with plenty of buds still developing. IMHO, this is by far the most elegant of all fall blooming plants. I have it growing in a bed interspersed with Calamagrostis brachytricha (aka Korean feather reed grass) and the effect is stunning.

I do hope it settles in and multiplies in years to come.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Well, after reading this thread and seeing these photos I think this one will be my next anemone. I'm totally enjoying my Anemone 'Robustissima' which has been in flower for at least a month and a half and even though everyone here seems to agree it can be a thug, I really don't care (yet). I think this one would look lovely with it. Now maybe someone can recommend a darker pink one?

Kevin

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Kevin, I have not grown it yet, but I have had my eye on the dark pink double-flowered 'Pamina' for quite some time now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I also love HR. I have it in several areas, but plan to add more since it it so pretty when it is planted in large numbers. Mine does spread, but in the back, the dogs have limited that (even, sadly, eliminated in spots!).

I also have a wonderful dark pink, but planted it so many years ago that it was before I started trying to keep track of names. Sorry. The picture shows what is left after three days of pouring rain (not complaining, mind you-very happy to finally be done with the dustbowl look). Maybe someone can identify it for you

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Jeez. What was I thinking? No way anyone could identify those, Kevin. I am sorry. If it is not raining tomorrow, I will try to get a picture of one of the flowers for you.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

"Pamina" is a terrific darker pink cultivar, I've had it for years, and it is delightful, very vibrant color.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    10 years ago

I just planted one this year, After admiring it in gardens for a few years. It didn't bloom this year. I just hope it makes it. It dried out a bit when I was out of town, but seemed to rebound pretty well.

I have a few unknown pinks I got in trade. Those bloomed for the second year. Nice, but I am really looking forward to that white! I don't know if they are 'Robustissima' . Is there any way I can tell?

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

I grow HJ here in Ontario. I've had it for over 16 years! It is still blooming today and looks fine near monkshood. It grows at a corner of my vegetable garden and I give pieces away occasionally to friends. It spreads over time, but you can dig it up, unlike Robustissima. I love the fat buds!
    I grow" Pamina" in a shadier spot. I also grow "Queen Charlotte" which has double pink blooms. They have tall stems that tend to droop over a stone wall here.

• ontnative
    10 years ago

Robustissima is more aggressive than the other anemones and generally blooms earlier, too.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

My 'Honorine Jobert' are now entering their 8th week of full bloom and still have a lot of buds forming! I am so impressed with these this year, but we have had a much cooler than normal fall, so I wonder if that has contributed to the extended bloom season.

Just a couple of thoughts, some of my plants were purchased from a local garden center. They were overflowing in 1 gallon pots with multiple crowns (at least 10 in each clump). These plants seemed to establish quicker and are doing much better than others planted at exactly the same time in the same location obtained through mail order which were much smaller (1-2 crowns growing in quart-sized pots). I wonder if anemones are one of those plants which struggle if the divisions are too small? If any of you have the option, try to go for the absolutely largest plants you can find!

• agberg
    10 years ago

I've had 'Robustissima' for 10 years, but this is the first year I've grown HJ. It started flowering around six weeks after the pink one. It had a dozen flowers open, but the frost blasted at least 60 buds. Does it normally bloom later?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

My HJ usually start blooming end of August/early September.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!