Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Last years garden revisited

This is what it looks like, but after a year in the compost bin.

{{gwi:271816}}

Since I need room in the compost bin for the upcoming fall clean-up, I figured it was time to start taking out the finished product. I hauled 6 small wheelbarrow loads today and figure I have another 6 or so to do.

It always amazed me how all that plant material - the garden, last years leaves and a years worth of kitchen waste condenses down into such a small volume of compost, but that's how it works. I love the process!

And no, I don't follow what the books say. You know, the proper ratio of green material to brown material and added garden soil and all that. The raw stuff just get dumped into the bins as I get it. I keep it moist and turn it a couple of times during the summer. A year later, it's finished. My two boulevard gardens are the lucky recipients of all of it this year. I can't wait to see how the zinnias do next year.

Kevin

Comments (6)

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic Kevin! You have reduced compost to the most basic and easiest ever! I have yet to get a compost bin going, but plan to and will be depending upon this advice, but I will take what you've said to heart. Thanks for sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Rind is a Terrible Thing to Waste

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

That is one of the nicest garden pictures I've seen this week. I'm jealous and it makes me feel guilty about my own heap of unturned not-yet-compost.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Yeah, that's really nice compost. Not easy to do, IMO. Nice going!

What kind of bin do you use?

• catkin
    9 years ago

Loverly!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

Making compost is work. There's no getting around that. A few times a year, I pitch-fork out all the material inside and pitch-fork it back in. Trust me, that stuff is heavy and not a pleasant task on a hot and humid July day, but you have to do it.

Karin - I have three bins. Here they are with a few comments. Least favorite first.

This one is as close to worthless as you can get. It's too small, the walls are too thin and all the air vents make it almost impossible to keep the contents moist. I think I got this one from Gardeners Supply or someplace similar.

{{gwi:271817}}

This one is a lot better. It's larger, the walls are thicker, not as many air vents. However, one kind of annoying feature are these little doors on the bottom sides. They keep falling off and I never use them. Contrary to what a lot of ads say, you don't shovel the finished product out these bottom doors. It just doesn't work that way. This is by Toro.

{{gwi:271818}}

By far, my absolute favorite is this one by Rubbermaid. I simply adore it because it works. It's very large, the walls are thick so they really keep the heat in. There are NO air vents and no little doors on the bottom. It took about a minute to put the whole thing together. Very simple and material inside starts to decompose very quickly. I would like to get another one of these, but I don't know if they still make them.

{{gwi:271819}}

Kevin

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Very nice Kevin! Your bins, despite some of their problems, make compost fairly quickly, it seems. I don't manage mine closely enough - keep throwing stuff in when I really should let what's already in there cook and start a new one.

It's very satisfying when you get a great batch of compost. Congrats!

Dee

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists