Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

When to dig and transplant lily bulbs

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

I posted this on the bulb forum but need an answer asap while everything is saturated and I can dig.

I have about 50 lily bulbs (asiatic and oriental) in a bed that is full of weeds. I want to dig them and transplant to my flower beds but don't know when to do it.

Is now too early? They are all still green but starting to yellow -- can I just cut the tops back and transplant them? If I wait until they are completely died down, I won't know which lilies are tall/short. Also, I prefer to do it before it gets too cold.

Comments (4)

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

I moved some today.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they are storing the green energy into the bulb for next season ..

in my world.. every speck of green must be stored...

so i would not move them until they are at least 95% yellow ...

so what will happen if you go a few weeks early ... what.. they might be an inch smaller... who cares ...

so you know what all that adds up to ... learnin.. lol ...

just do what you can.. when you have the time.. and get it done..

that is always better than never getting around to it ...

but the bottom line is.. dont worry about it..

ken

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for giving me the courage I needed! I moved them all (without cutting the tops which are pretty green) and they haven't skipped a beat! I watered them in and then we had a soaking rain. They haven't wilted at all and I think the tops will continue to feed the roots.

I missed some, I'm sure but will look for them in the spring.

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

My tops are green and the transplant did not shock anything. They still would live through it regardless.