Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_parsons3820

excess 'ingredients'

ynot
10 years ago

I've posted this question in the Container Gardening forum. But I'm aware that many gardeners in the Perennial forum have current or past experience with container gardening. And since responses to my past queries about perennials have been so helpful (beyond helpful, in fact), I hope I can call on you again.
As I'm getting involved with fall cleanup, I've discovered I have 'large' surpluses of some of the ingredients: namely, Turface and Reptibark. (A significant amount of these products, as purchased, were too small/too large for the container mix.)
If any of you have used these products in container gardening or some other endeavor, I'd appreciate some advice for making some positive use of them ... preferably in growing my perennials!! :o)
Thanks
gary

Comments (8)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Hi Gary, I'm not sure what your ingredients are, Turface and Reptibark? Special potting mixes?

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I think you could use the Repti bark as a mulch, but it would be the most expensive mulch in the universe. The turface would be good to add to soil that is compacted, or where you were going to plant something that needed good drainage, like a Delosperma or something. Are you sure you can't just hang onto them to use later?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would just store it dry in the garage...

who knows when you might decide you want it ...

ken

• ynot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the excellent suggestions.
    Prairiemoon. You're right on the money! They're two of the three ingredients found in a planting medium used in containers called 'Al's Gritty Mix. Extremely well/fast draining. The Turface, as I understand it, absorbs a vast amount of water, releasing it when the surrounding materials begin to dry. It's main use, according to a retailer, is on baseball fields, where it's absorption capability is invaluable in wet weather (when you need a dry field!)
    Aseedis promise. i had the idea that it would be great to add to a sandy soil; it would counter that soil's tendency to drain too rapidly. As mentioned earlier, it would absorb the water and release it as needed. Since I've never heard it mentioned as an inorganic soil amendment, I assume it has a down side.
    Another post mentioned that I could donate the reptibark to a student/school as bedding for reptiles, which is how it's primarily used. i came across it since it was strongly recommended as an ingredient in the gritty mix.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

terratoma, it's a great time of year to build up a houseplant collection. Maybe repot some existing plants or head to the nursery and bring home a few more and repot those when you get them home. Or...start a collection at your work place. Plants indoors during the winter months help keep the air healthy and clean.

• ynot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

prairiemoon
    I'd love to do that. The problem lies in the fact that this 'surplus' can't be used for that purpose.

The gritty mix formula uses a specific size range for the individual ingredients. Unfortunately, the ingredients, as packaged, are different sizes and must be screened in order to isolate those in the proper size range. Those that fall out of the size range are unusable in the mix and, therefore, I refer to them as 'surplus'

And this surplus was large. At least one third of the Turface was too large while over two-thirds of the Reptibark was too large. (Many growers indicated that the entire contents of their bags of Reptibark were usable. Well, all 120 dry quarts of mine must have been packaged at a different time or place!) :o )

Initially, I wondered about the need for such specific size ranges. But the folks in the Container Gardening forum were quite helpful in explaining the basis of the requirement. It was definitely developed, to my mind at least, on sound principles.
    I may eventually try container gardening again. But at $8 per 4 quart bag of Reptibark, I truly can't afford having to throw away two-thirds of it. Next time, I'll use pine bark which I've heard can be substituted (although many gardeners rate fir bark (Reptibark) a superior product for container gardening.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    gary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Oh....now I'm following what you meant by 'surplus'. I have never tried that potting mix for containers, because I was not able to find the ingredients. I decided after awhile, that I would stick to what I normally do for containers, because it was just too much trouble. (g) I guess if I used a lot of containers I'd feel different about it. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :-)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I've heard the turface makes an excellent soil conditioner for all kinds of plants especially bulbs, just work it in. I think it was the Missouri botanical garden that recommended it... Not sure though. I'm trying to find a source but my fall plant budget is already shot and I'll have to wait for next year :(

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert