Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

September Stalwarts

One of my favorite Autumn perennials ("Sweet Autumn Clematis"). This gets very little direct sun but covers our chain link fence (in or out of bloom).

{{gwi:272253}}

My first year with one of Kevin's Minnesota "Mammoth Mums". I planted this in June and it was the size of my fist. It is now over 3 feet across and 2 feet tall. I have bound it up to keep it more upright.

{{gwi:272255}}

I love "Chelone". My favorite is "Hot Lips" (which this isn't) but it does so well in shade.

{{gwi:272257}}

Not really a Fall plant as such but I had to include it (Rozanne). This one has been in full bloom for two full months (for me from mid July to approaching mid September and it will continue into October). I took this picture today. There was a time a season or so ago when I was going to shovel prune itt...too 'sprawly'. But I am so glad I didn't as it is a full sun flower machine almost w/o equal.

{{gwi:272259}}

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 19:13

Comments (46)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the great pics, rouge. My turtlehead has never been as lush as yours--my acid soil perhaps? Like you I almost shovel-pruned Rozanne after a couple of seasons watching it sprawl. Then I saw a thread here on the forum that talked about it's habit and I decided to let it go and just watch it. Glad I did.

My toad lily is gearing up to bloom in the weeks ahead--lots of buds forming. It's much fuller now that it's reached maturity.

I don't have SAC and gave up on asters years ago. The asters don't like my soil/growing conditions but since most everything else does, I don't count them much of a loss.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

Beautiful Sweet Autumn Clematis! Is it hardy in your zone? Did it have lots of die-back past winter?
    Some of mine September bloomers:
    {{gwi:272261}}

{{gwi:272263}}

{{gwi:272264}}

{{gwi:272266}}

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My toad lily is gearing up to bloom in the weeks ahead--lots of buds forming. It's much fuller now that it's reached maturity.

Be sure to post pictures 'gw'. (I have a couple of TL but one has to have a magnifying glass to see the blooms! I wonder if mine don't get enough sun).

green_go, I consider SAC to be quite hardy (they would do fine in your locale). I have two that I have had for several years. SAC is a Type 3 i.e. it should be pruned back to about a foot or so each spring. Having said that it isn't as large this season as in the past as it had a much slower start this spring...the harsh winter did seem to set it back.

green_go, how long have you been posting to GW? You clearly have a wonderful property with so many healthy vigorous plants and some wonderful beds. Thank you.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos! I am glad to have an ID on the SAC. I have Roazanne that is 3-4 years old, but none have ever done more than just have a few blooms on a few strands. Could it be because I got them as clearance plants years ago, and they never fully recovered?

Original Author
    9 years ago

carolinaflowerlover, are you sure it is Rozanne? Is it in a location which gets enough sun (but seeing the you are in NC it might do well even in more shade than would work for me!)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Rogue, it was labelled as sixth and looks like it....but I guess it is possibly it is wrong. It got a decent amount of shade in previous years due to labeling it as shade. It got more this year since the tree was cut back heavily. Does it prefer a lot of sun? Maybe I should move one of them and see if that helps next year.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

GG, what is that first sedum? Is it neon? I love it!

I just got back inside from cutting flowers and I could barely tear myself away from the garden. A snowstorm is on the way but as yet it is sunny and mild, really making me linger out there, knowing that it's so finite.

Stalwarts here are coneflowers, roses, and Russian sage. I love the September rose re-bloom. So do the deer, unfortunately, but I still have quite a few flowers to enjoy.

Here is Pearl cat soaking in the morning pleasures:

• linlily
    9 years ago

My Longwood Blue Caryopteris is in full bloom right now. I also have the variegated Snow Fairy, and it is also blooming. Hosta Plantaginea is still full of flowers, having started blooming in late August. I agree that Rozanne is a blooming machine and still going strong and will until the frost stops it. I also have Jolly Bee, which may or may not be the same plant as Rozanne - I've seen discussions about this - and it also blooms until the cold weather nips it. Of course mums are starting to show their color this month. And I have rebloom on some my reblooming irises.

Linda

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I love September in the garden. The bees are so busy and the birds are going crazy! We have a gazillion babies here.....chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, various woodpeckers......all sharing the feeders nicely. The hummingbirds are nuts chasing each other all day. Appears we have three females and one male. He truley must be a catch cause the ladies are going wild! LOL!

In bloom now.......sweet autumn clematis, Chelone, anemone robustissima, hibiscus, sedum, various caryopteris, heptacodium, roses, lespedeeza, hydrangea, mums, hostas hanging on, ironweed, gentian, and lots of annuals. Some other perennials with bits of bloom but nothing to write home about. By far the favorites for the bees are the clematis, anemone and heptacodium and caryopteris.

Ahhhhhhh.......September!

Karin......snow? I would say that stinks for you, but you've probably gotten the skis out already! LOL!

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

rouge21, I came to Perennials forum a couple of months ago - if I remember correctly, in June with a question about campanulas... well, I got so many advices and guidances, that I decided I like the crowd here... so I stayed. :)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Ahh, what a nice description of the buzzing, humming, vibrant time in the garden T2D! Sounds like you have a lot of depth and diversity in your beds.

Yup, snow. This afternoon the sky got darker and darker, then the skies let loose with a wild but brief downpour. Moments later the clouds parted and viola a fresh coat of snow emerged in the mountains. Now we'll see how low the snow line gets over the next day or two. It will be 80 again by next week though!

(The skis are out but I'm taking them to the southern hemisphere in a couple weeks. So I'd prefer the garden to stay alive as long as possible.)

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

I WANT sedum to stay hunka vertical like that ppl fleshed one!

rozanne- a few yrs ago, GW focused on how Roz only lasted 1 or 2 yrs for alot of people. Then i had the same experience. How long have you had your blooming machine?

i think my chelone succumbed to dryness in the shade but i vow to get it again. i want to grow hot lips next to yellow foliage plants....
    mindy

Original Author
    9 years ago

mindy, I only have the one "Rozanne" (no room anywhere else) and it has been similarly floriferous and vigorous for the 4 or 5 years it has been in the ground; it is mostly on its own re supplemental water and soil augmentation.

For sure try "Chelone" again...one of my Fall faves.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

Love Pearl looking at her meadow

• franeli
    9 years ago

Fun topic and great photos!

mindy, All of my G.rozannes lasted only a few years. I could never rid them of black spot.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Great photos all. That red hibiscus is magnificent.

A September bloomer that's going strong now in my garden is hardy ageratum. Every spring I pull out some plants that have seeded in odd locations, but enough remains for a great show in fall. It's pretty much the definition of a carefree perennial.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Rogue or any others who have sweet autumn clematis, does this plant reseed heavily? I adore it but have avoided it because a gardener who had it told me the seedlings end up everywhere.

Karin, that is a great picture!

Original Author
    9 years ago

GreenHearted, I have two SAC and the one not shown is in a very wild (untended and messy) area and I have never discovered any seedlings from it (or the other). Maybe our climate is too harsh to allow for these tender seedlings to advance?

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Well I am glad to hear it, rouge! Think I'll be adding her to my plant list.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

GH, I had 2. One met its demise this past winter. One of them I never had a single seedling anywhere. The other one (that died), after being in for about 6 or 7 years started sprouting. There were enough to be noticeable, but not enough to wage war and rip out the whole vine. They are tough, little buggers to rip out though. Was the gardener with the seedling problem from a warmer zone? Just curious. The smell in the yard right now is incredible from just one vine. I have SAC, Chelone and anemone all planted within about a 10' range and the bees are going nuts! I would definitely go for it!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My Geranium 'Rozanne' has been thriving in a full sun bed w/o supplemental moisture or any help from me since 2008. While I'd hate losing it if it "aged out," I wouldn't hesitate to replace it given its long bloom season, good behavior and apparent disinterest from critters or bugs.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Thyme, I learned of the reseeding habit from a gardener in my neck of the woods (northern IL). I was doing a garden tour and she had this magnificent sweet autumn clematis that made my jaw drop. It covered an entire long fence and was there for many years... maybe they get a little more aggressive as time goes on? The gardener said she loved it but it was quite a job to control.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the great photos and info here. I certainly need to add more September stalwarts to my garden as I currently only have leadwort, hostas, and this toad lily in bloom. All the rest of my blooms are annuals. First year for the toad lily, planted from bare root in April. Very pleased with how it's done so far.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Great shot '.Arlene'. They do have such unique flowers...but so small. (I wonder what it would look like having a mass planting of these TL?)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Today:

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Another:

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

A few bloomers my way...

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Moonbeam still going strong

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Asters and mums

This post was edited by lilsprout on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 22:37

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Sedum and more asters. My asters didn't do well this year after the harsh winter...

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Nice colours, Lilsprout.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Thank you Sunny. Loving yours too!

I have to tell you...you've inspired me to plant more phlox. Hoping mine will be at least half as beautiful as yours.....

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lilsprout.

As said, this has been a horrible year here for powdery mildew on the garden phlox.

Still I can't believe that a couple of the oldies (including 'Nora Leigh') still show little or no evidence of the mildew.

They are the few phlox still left standing in our garden.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Really nice SunnyB and Lilsprout!

Sprout, I particularly like the dark pink asters, that is a great color.

And Sunny, yeah! In your first photo, the big swaths of color are lovely. Everything looks so vibrant.

Nice job to both of you! Thanks for sharing.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I love "Honorine Jobert" Anemone. It is showing its best right now. This particular specimen is over 5 feet in height! It reaches for the sun as it is in a quite shady location.

{{gwi:272268}}

And each year I sing the praises of Persicaria "Golden Arrow". I took this picture today and I bet it has been in bloom for now over 6 weeks. It is a wonderful part shade perennial. (Oh and I see there is the ubiquitous "September Charm" Anemone...too much pink)

{{gwi:272272}}

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Very nice, Rouge.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

This astilbe blooms spring until frost. Not fussy like my other astilbes which need lots of water.

Echinacea and garlic chives

Anemone 'Margarete', also blooming anemone robustissima

{{gwi:272284}}

Clematis 'Polish Spirit'

{{gwi:272287}}

Rudbeckia, silene regia, phlox 'David'

Agastache 'Firebird' blooms summer to frost

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 13:30

Original Author
    9 years ago

We have several "Polish Spirits" as well and in full sun or close to full sun it blooms from June into September...a very productive clematis.

Any idea the specific variety of Astilbe you show above?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Fall is a great time for reblooming roses. Here is one as of today:

{{gwi:272293}}

This is almost our only coreopsis. It has reliably returned for the past 3 seasons and is still blooming well as of today.

{{gwi:272295}}

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Nice Mnwsgal, Rouge.

Today.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Two pictures above; different view.
    Today.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

That astilbe might be 'pumila chinensis' It needs less water than others, blooms later. When I grew it over 20 years ago I thought it was a washed out color and never planted it in my "new" garden (now 20 yrs old.) But it certainly has seasonal and less-water advantages
    I am sure at least one new color has been introduced, possibly by Daryl Probst who is an epimedium guru. Now I'm curious and want to check Garden Visions website, the source for all things epimedium.
    '

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I believe Ida Bean is correct and it is astilbe chinensis 'Pulmila'. This was given to me many years ago. While it is not showy it does well in that area.

Phlox and hibiscus are almost finished with a blossom or two hanging on.
    asters and mums are just starting.

Nice to see the beauty of others gardens. Always glad to see your photos Rouge and Sunny Borders.

• catkin
    9 years ago

So very pretty, everyone!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow SB. Those pics could be representative of a thriving, vigorous garden in *July*!

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Thanks.

It's obvious to all gardeners (in our growing conditions) that the photography has to be a bit more selective/ creative at this time of year. Can't fill in all the gaps with fall mums.

In fact, I do feel uncomfortable at times posting any pictures. It's like somebody comes to your garden but you only let them look where you want them to look; namely, where the gardening has been more successful.

Failures may be less inspiring than successes, but perhaps there's more to learn from them.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery