Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbeckia Won't Grow

Posted by beckwith 4-5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 18:10

I am having difficulty getting what I thought was one of the easiest plants to grow. I have transplanted rudbeckia of a friend, bought new plants, planted starters, and they will not come up. The site is sunny, average-good moisture, soil is alkaline but good. Any ideas? Are they dormant before they mature enough to sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbeckia Won't Grow

I'm a bit puzzled by your question. If you're planting rudbeckia now (which variety by the way), you should be dealing with growing plants, not dormant plants. Are you saying your plants die after you transplant them or do you always get them before they've sprouted (very early spring)or very late fall after they've gone dormant (I guess) although my rudbeckia keep their leaves through winter. Maybe other varieties don't. No clue.

Some are annuals, some biennials, some perennials, so it's kind of important to know which ones you've been dealing with. I'm not sure of this, but in my experience and in my zone rudbeckia seem to do better transplanted in spring. The ones I've tried to move in the fall (mainly Goldstrum) never make it through the winter.

Kevin

o
RE: Rudbeckia Won't Grow

I was a little surprised to see that Swallowtail Garden Seeds classifies all Rudbeckia seed types as annuals. I know from experience they self-seed but evidently that's how they give the impression they're perennials. I've been yanking seedlings from the neighbor's lawn and they didn't plant Rudbeckia...I did!

The site is sunny, average-good moisture, soil is alkaline but good.

The soil here is acid and where I have Rudbeckia growing, it's nothing more than sand & rocks. They get full sun but they're on their own as far as nutrients & supplemental water. It's just a guess but maybe your soil is too good for them. I find they do best here if they are growing in the worst soil & get no care whatsoever, including water above & beyond what Mother Nature provides. That being said, I noticed they were just as happy this year with plenty of frequent rain as they were last year when we had 4 months of drought from June to October.

I should qualify these comments and state my plants were winter sown from seeds, not grown from nursery stock. Health & endurance-wise, winter sown plants are giant steps ahead of nursery-grown plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here