Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Black & Blue salvia - quick please!

mxk3 z5b_MI
11 years ago

Can I save B&B over the winter?

I dug them up, it's time to clean up the annuals, and I noticed my plants have sort of tuberous root system - looks like a bunch of peanuts. I'm wondering if I can dry and store for next season - ? . Or, can I pot up and store in garage over winter?

Anyone have any clue/any experience with this?

Comments (7)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I have moved entire pots of black and blue into a cold part of the house and had them winter over that way. I have also read that you can treat them basically like Dahlias, but I haven't tried that.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

I suppose you could do the cool storage thing, but I often get this plant to overwinter even with no protection.

• linlily
    11 years ago

I'm in what used to be a zone 5/6. Our winters are not what they used to be. Much warmer here now than in the past. We don't see -15 or -20 with -30 windchills any more. Not that I'm complaining!

I've had my Black and Blue Salvia for 4 years now and I do nothing to it and it keeps coming back. We do mulch every year - shredded bark - and this year I may cover it with some extra leaves just in case. I love the color of the flowers and hope it continues to return in the spring.

Linda

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh. Darn it. I already dug them up. I'll just try to store them, then. I have one left in the ground that I'll leave and see what happens - it's next to the porch, so maybe it's warm enough there to survive with lots of mulch.

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

My Black and Blue has been in the ground to the south of my house since 2006. It gets no special covering other than a little mulch. One winter something had scratched he ground in that area, and I though for sure it was a goner, but it came back, not as strongly that year, but it survived, and has looked good ever since. The ground there probably stays a little warmer than out in the open here, but I would say it is still pretty tough.
    Remy

• terrene
    11 years ago

I overwintered 2 pots of Salvia B&B last winter in the garage. It worked extremely well! I forgot about them and don't remember watering them all winter, regardless, they did fine. I think I watered them when they started to send shoots up in March or so - it was much earlier than they normally would outside.

I would have potted more for the winter, except the voles ate the other three! I bought 3 more this past spring, and when I planted them in the Spring, I put wire cages made out of hardware cloth around the roots. They did great this summer and I'm going to dig up all 5 of them this fall.

• lauramg8
    11 years ago

I have some in pots that go in the basement. Others I dug and threw in a bag and put in the basement -they came through too. I havent had them overwinter in the ground here in Z6b. Ill try mulching though.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz