Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Mulling over 'mums....

I have been wanting to add more hardy 'mums to the garden, so was very interested in Kevin's thread last year about the Mammoth Mums. I was able to find several (Red,Dark Bronze, Dark Pink) this year but I'm undecided about how well they will suit the garden/where they are best used. I have two main issues/concerns.

The first is their potential size - they seem to be listed as both quite tall and quite wide-spreading, which raises concerns about whether I have the space for them!

The second issue is their appearance. While I generally prefer the look of simpler, single forms of flowers, to me 'mums are supposed to be very much doubles - the Mammoths are not. Looking at Google images, a lot seem to be mounds smothered in flowers and looking very artificial - I'm not sure if that is their natural form or whether they've been pruned like that. The bright yellow centers of their daisy-like flowers strike me as a bit brash - I prefer the more subtle transitions of the old style mums.

So, where I am at the moment re mums is in an assessment phase. I have the Dark Pink Mammoth planted in the ground but the Red and Bronze are in pots, where they will likely stay for a year or two until I get a better feel for how big they get and what their natural look is, so I can assess where (or if) they should be placed in the garden. I am also trying several old-fashioned style mums to compare with the Mammoths. I've planted a Dreamweaver and a Tigertail to see how they compare with Dark Pink and Dark Bronze Mammoths. I also have some pass-along old-fashioned 'mums from neighbours The white one has been in the garden for several years now. I like it but it is the old weak-stemmed ones that need regular cutting back earlier in the summer in order not to flop when it blooms! It's quite a large patch now and blooms quite late (buds are present now but none open). When I originally got the white 'mum from a neighbour a few years ago, there was a pink one mixed in. I was lamenting to another neighbour last August that the pink seems to be disappearing. She said 'Oh, I can give you pink ones.....' and a few days later (in the midst of a very dry spell) a bunch of mums appeared on our driveway! I stuffed them in wherever I could find a bare spot - and forgot about them, assuming none would survive the planting in the drought.... Most obviously did indeed die but one very nice patch has grown up through the Boomerang lilac in the moat bed! I didn't realize it was there until it started blooming a week or so ago. It never got pinched back but that hasn't seemed to bother it and the lilac seems to be supporting it to keep it upright.

The pink old-fashioned one has been the first to bloom followed by the Mammoth Mums. The Tigertail is just starting to open a few blooms but Dreamweaver isn't showing color yet. The white old-fashioned one usually starts later this month and blooms into November. It looks like the ones I'm trialing will cover a long bloom period between them, so I'll probably try to find suitable places/companions for them all in the end I suspect!

Some pictures:

First to bloom - pink pass-along 'mum
{{gwi:272624}}

Its current companions:
{{gwi:272626}}

Dark Pink Mammoth (I used to have a rather vivid pink aster and rather wild purple asters is this spot and where the hosta is now)
{{gwi:272628}}

Red and Dark Bronze Mammoths (The Dark Bronze looks more red than bronze to me! I suspect mislabeling, although Google images shows quite a variation so there must be at least two different Bronze ones.)
{{gwi:272629}}

Tigertail just starting to open - this color will, I think, work best with the oranges at this end of the south driveway border.
{{gwi:272630}}

What are your favorite hardy mums? Which varieties would you suggest I look for to extend the trial? :-)

Comments (19)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Woody I like the way you think with your "mum trials", I tend to try a couple of varieties at a time and pick my favorites too.... But then never have the heart to get rid of the less-favored.
    I think I also have red and dark bronze next to each other and if you're not looking for the differences there's not much of a color distinction between the two. Plus the rusty reds are not favorites of mine, so I won't add any opinion on the color.
    I picked up a variety of mum cuttings this spring, the mammoths are just coming into their own now and I'm surprised that they don't appeal to me as much as I thought they would. They're impressive lumps of color, but I like to appreciate the individual blooms and shape of the plant a little more so maybe they're not for me. They would make excellent big tubs of color alongside an entry or in a display though.
    I'll see if I can get some pictures and names together, I did like quite a few! :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Mine are not blooming yet. I just bought a couple the other day for two containers out front and they are just starting to open. Nice big plants that each fill a 20 inch container for $5.99. I was very happy with that.

I thought I'd posted photos of mine in past seasons, but I can't find the thread. Most of mine I bought at Bluestone. I thought they had a pretty good selection of hardy mums. I especially like one called 'Amber Morning' that was a yellow gold with a button center that the bees really love. Some of mine have been plants I've bought locally in the Fall and they have wintered over for me.

edit: Unfortunately, I don't see many on the Bluestone website right now. In the spring, they usually have a very good selection.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 12:51

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

The first is their potential size - they seem to be listed as both quite tall and quite wide-spreading,

They attain a very large size...even in their first year. I planted one the size of my fist in early June or so and it is now over 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall. I bound it up to keep it more upright. Next year I will chop it back sometime in July to see how that limits the height.

Here it is as of today ("Dark Pink Daisy").

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of the mammoths planted all together (altogether too close!)
    From left to right, bronze, pink, coral, red, yellow quill. The bronze and red are nearly identical in color although the red grows as a much tighter plant for me. the pink and yellow quill are my two favorites, they're all in full sun.
    I do prefer the daisy shapes over the doubles, but I also like flowers that have a little variation in color throughout the bloom. These might be better for a more formal bedding type garden (which mine is not). Next year I might mix them all up and contaminate my mother in laws bare mulch beds with a sea of mammoth mum cuttings. That would be quite the show.
    Oh and I make no apologies for the obscene, overly colorful mix of flowers and foliage in my picture! I don't think I've ever made any claims on good taste :)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

This is an October bloomer from last year (no name), but it's more of the mix of darker and faded blooms all on the same plant. I think it looks a little more interesting than the all over one color look.
    This spot is so dry even the weeds died off, but the mums shrugged it all off (even if they look a little sparse).

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Woody- is "matchstick" close to your "tigertail"? I like it so far, but will have to see how it does next year with a little more room. It's hard to justify all that space in May for a little cutting which won't bloom till September (I'm far too ADD for that much foresight)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Most of my favorites fall under the "novelty" category or daisy form, not so many doubles. Here's "centerpiece".
    These are the early bloomers, I'm still looking forward to a few later ones which are only now starting to make buds.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kato - I agree re preferring variation in color and thinking the theMammoths might work best in a bedding scheme similar to one based on annuals. I think the dark pink Mammoth one is the best-looking of the ones I'm trying. It's the only one in the ground at the moment. It's rather aster-like and is planted where an aster used to be so it will likely stay there. I think the red and bronze are destined to a life in pots at this point:-)

My Tigertail is opening very slowly so I'm still not sure what it's final appearance will be, but it has some of the same colors of the Matchsticks one.

9 years ago

Great pictures 'kato'.

With often nothing else blooming around them and with such density of flowers in often very bold colors I can see how someone might think that a healthy mum in full bloom doesn't look....real.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the Tigertail mum today - some buds are still just thinking about opening.... What is interesting (to me!) about this one is that each bud seems to have the potential to be a different color, ranging from yellow to a deep rust. I like it so far....!
    {{gwi:272632}}

• vic447
    9 years ago

Woody I really like the "pass along pink" Mum and the way it echoes the colors of the hibiscus in the background. It reminds me of an article in Fine Gardening this summer about design and using a "big sister plant little sister plant" to tie things together. I have not heard of Mammoth Mums and went back to Kevin's old post and read about them. Now I have plant lust. :(

9 years ago

A nice little bonus of "TigerTail (for some of us) is its Canadian heritage...developed in the wilds of Manitoba.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 10:32

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Aww, I've kept my eye out for Mammoth Mums all summer at our garden center. They only had them once and I didn't jump on them. Now I'm left with plant lust too.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

Are what you all are calling mammoth mums the same as belgium mums?

9 years ago

They appear to not be the same 'flowergirl'.

I have included a link which I think provides a good description of the origins of the "Mammoth Mums".

Here is a link that might be useful: Mammoth Mums

• vic447
    9 years ago

Rouge 21 ,
    I may live in NY but I am a Thunder Bay Ontario native, just a hop, skip, and jump from " the wilds of Manitoba" !!! Now even more reason to want the TigerTail , Victoria

Original Author
    9 years ago

Victoria - maybe then you!d be interested in more of the 'Firecracker' series of mums from Jefferies Nursery in Portage la Prairie, That's who bred Tigertail, I also got their Dreamweaver, which is just starting to show a little color on the buds now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firecracker mums

• vic447
    9 years ago

Woody, thank you I will look for these. Anything that was developed northwest of Thunder Bay has to be hardy, Lol

9 years ago

"Jefferies" or "Morden" are both rated extra hardy at zone 3 (= zone 2 USA?).

So Victoria either choice would be just fine in terms of survival in any part of NY State.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 10:51