Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Are any plants really immune to rabbit destruction? A rant...

I felt sickened the other day when I realized that the plague of rabbits I have been dealing with all summer has nibbled down my Chasmanthium latifolium (in full bloom!) and Euphorbia polychroma to pathetic nubs of bare stems. Aren't euphorbias supposed to have bitter, poisonous sap? Will these awful creatures stop at nothing? And is there a reason why they have eaten *my* Chasmanthium and not the lush clumps a few houses down the street?

They have already spent the summer torturing all of my Phlox divaricata, 5/6 clumps of Aster laevis 'Bluebird', half of my Aster cordifolius, 90% of my Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, half of my Geranium 'Rozanne', half of my solidago of all types, all of my Lathyrus vernus, etc. In the spring, they annihilated my crocuses, feasted on emerging lily stems, chewed off the flower buds and half the foliage of my Ranunculus aconitifolius 'Flore Pleno' and the unforgivable... the little creeps BIT OFF the flowers on my snowdrops! I was so excited for spring to finally come and have my snowdrops in bloom. Next morning, I walk out to door to find a rabbit stuffing its smug little face with the last flower. I yelled, foaming at the mouth, and ran toward the furry horror with my arms waving and it just looked at me. It hopped away just beyond my reach. Otherwise there would have been stew that night.

I have tried pepper flakes, pepper sprays, soap, garlic, PlantSkydd, live trapping, flame throwers, sacrificing chickens, etc. and nothing keeps them away. Oh yeah, and I found out last week my next door neighbor thinks they are cute and BUYS food for them to leave out in her garden. When I told her about the little creeps destroying my garden, she replied "Well, at least you are giving them something to eat..." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Why oh why did Chicago have to start a successful feral cat trap-neuter-release program so many years ago? A few dozen feral cats would come in such handy right now! Would someone please send over a few thousand foxes and coyotes? Maybe I could release them in my garden the way you do with mail order lady beetles!

Comments (22)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

What you need is a Schnauzer. Unfortunately, they reproduce faster than my dog can catch them.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, that photo is hilarious and made me laugh out loud! Unfortunately, there is a general dearth of good varmint-catching dogs in my area. And between work hours and a tiny urban yard, it would be difficult to take one on myself (and probably unfair for the dog as well). Sigh.

Any chance though I could borrow your dog for a weekend? :-)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I would consider doing something really nasty to that neighbor.
    just kidding - sort of

I had a elderly neighbor who fed the feral cats. OMG! We must have had cats coming from miles around to take part in the feast she set out every day. Of course, the cats didn't stay put in her yard, I was overrun with the beasts doing what cats do.

She passed away a couple of years ago and the feast ended. Cats aren't nearly the problem they once were.

I really feel for you. Rabbits have to be the most loathsome problem a gardener can face. For some odd reason, I have a few in early spring munching select plants. Then they seem to disappear for the summer and fall. I do have to remember to cage in some young shrubs for winter 'cause I know they will be stubs by spring if I don't.

Kevin

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, thanks for your kind words. I think any animal (including humans) can become problematic when found in unnatural excess.

The rabbits in this area used to be bothersome but never as horrid as they are now. Once upon a time, there was a sizable population of crows that preyed on the baby rabbits. Then along came West Nile virus and the crows were decimated and have still not staged a comeback. And now, with no feral cats, free roaming dogs, foxes, coyotes, hawks or owls, these rabbits have been reproducing unchecked for several years. And the next door neighbor feels it is her duty to help them even more...

Whenever I take a short walk around my neighborhood, regardless of time of day, it is now rare not to see at least 5-10 rabbits of varying sizes, all in plain sight. I am sure there are many more feasting away out of sight, tucked among the herbage.

I wish they would take a few good bites out of my aconitum and hellebores.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Well, my dog isn't so good at being careful of the plants while he is hunting, so you might not like the results, even if I could get him to Chicago. It really is frustrating though to have them nibble off stuff just when it is going to bloom etc. Rabbits are an intractable problem for sure. Good luck!

• jadeite
    10 years ago

I feel your pain. We are overrun with rabbits during the spring when there is nothing for them to eat. They've eaten poisonous plants right down to the ground. If I saw a dead rabbit nearby I might be happy to sacrifice the odd lobelia, but there's no body to be seen.

One saving grace is that we have a good population of predators - coyotes, hawks, bobcats - so by mid-summer, the rabbits are no longer leaping over the wall to eat everything in sight. Unfortunately DH thinks they are cute, and laughs his head off when we see a pile of tomatoes or apples by the gate. They can get under it, but they can't take the fruit with them.

DH made several large cages to protect some plants, but there's a limit to the amount of fencing you can tolerate. A dog or cat wouldn't be much use. A coyote would take them in a flash, they're slower than the rabbits.

Cheryl

• kelp
    10 years ago

I feel for you. I cage all aster, phlox, tiarella, echinacea, blueberries, roses, geranium 'Rozanne', and new shrubs. (I don't even notice the black wire fencing anymore.) They don't seem to bother the foxglove, lobelia, Joe Pye Weed, geranium maculatum, jumpseed, delphinium exaltatum, hosta, ferns, bloodroot, mayapple, Jack-in-the-pulpit, peonies, rhododendron, mountain laurel, luecothoe axillaris, Virginia sweetspire, hydrangea, monarda, mints, daffodils, and astilbe. They nibble at the viburnum, winterberry, and summersweet in the winter, but it's all so big now, it doesn't matter. I've given up on crocuses and tulips. If they're not eating them to the ground, the squirrels are digging up, and eating the bulbs.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

My neighbor snapped a photo of a hawk sitting on top of my trash container with a squirrel in his claws. The squirrel seemed very relaxed. In fact, I think he was sleeping. Nice of the hawk to give the squirrel a ride like that. Maybe that's why we don't have many rabbits. They don't like the free rides from the hawks.

Kevin

• angua85
    10 years ago

ROFL Kevin!

We were talking about rodent prevention at work (yes, at work!) and it was mentioned that predator urine pellets work well- for deer at least. I suppose you can buy them online somewhere. I think also that one needs to "reapply" regularly. Perhaps the rabbits will be as concerned about a fake bobcat or mountain lion?

I feel your pain, Ispahan.

Sue

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Ispahan, since when is Chicago in Z6a? Have another look. I hope you're not buying 6a plants!

MM -- Lifelong Chicagoan a prisoner in Kansas

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I usually see a rabbit or two but this year we've had our son's dog here and I haven't seen one since March.

MM - I've always wanted to see the Lurie Garden in Millennium Park in Chicago. I'm a fan of PIet Oudolf and although I've only seen his work in photos, that seems to me to be the best he's done.

I'm wondering why you are a prisoner in Kansas. (g) I think just the Tornadoes would keep me away if I could help it. Is the climate difficult for gardening too?

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MulchMama, welcome to GW! I've got news for you, even the official USDA zone maps put my neck of the woods in 6a. And yes, I really do believe it is 6a. I live within a mile of the lakeshore, and that generally equates to very long autumns and very early last frost dates compared to any of the Chicagoland burbs. Add in urban heat island effects, etc., and you've got quite a warm microclimate. My parents, who live on the other side of the lake in the lake effect belt, were reclassified as 6b. Maybe it is time for a prison break? Lol :-)

Prairiemoon, the Lurie Garden is absolutely lovely. Piet Oudolf truly is a master. Oudolf himself was quoted somewhere as saying the Lurie Garden was his favorite/best garden so far. I do want to see the High Line in New York after it matures a couple more years.

Ugh, rabbits. The horror...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

ispahan, that seems so odd to me that here I am in New England zone 6a and someone can still be in zone 6a in Kansas. I know it is true, looking at the zone map, but Kansas seems like such a different climate than here, in my imagination, never having been there.

I have read a few of his books with photos of other gardens he has done and by far the Lurie Garden is my favorite of his, interesting that it is his.

Yes, the High Line, another garden I would also like to visit. I find that so fascinating and encouraging to see such an ugly structure that was so in need of new life, be transformed into such a wonderful space for people in the city to have access to. One of these days, IâÂÂll get to both these gardens.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

PM, zone is really only talking about the lowest average temps a place will experience. Rainfall, length of season, humidity, soils, all those things can vary quite a bit giving a big difference to each particular place. That's why its good to give people a good idea where you are, at least a city or something, to get the best answers when you ask questions here. I am zone 5, but I have a much shorter growing season than most zone 5 people. I keep thinking that you are in KS, just because of your screen name.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

aseedisapromise, lol, yes, my screen name is only based on my love of prairies and meadows and moons. I'm from the Boston area, MA is for Massachusetts. I've never been to Kansas. California is the only area I've visited outside of the East Coast. I guess I might have flown over Kansas, if that counts. (g) One of my favorite movies was 'Oklahoma' which is next to Kansas, mostly for the beautiful soundtrack not the plot. I suppose most of my geographical impressions of the midwest come from that movie though. Agriculture, corn fields, ranches.

But you are in South Dakota? Which is another state I've only heard about. Seems like a challenging climate in the winter, yes? Are you affected by the drought conditions too?

As for zones, I guess in my mind, Kansas is somewhat more south than Massachusetts so I just expect a warmer zone anywhere South of me, which is just not the case. It isn't like there is a line separating the north of the country from the south, it's more like a curve I guess. And I am a little warmer than many areas very close by me. Zone 5 is more prevalent here with a little of zone 7 on the Cape and the Islands.

And I love your screen name. It is so true...a seed is a promise. I've always enjoyed starting plants from seeds and it is amazing when you think about it.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 11:12

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

ispahan, don't mean to steer your thread off topic, sorry. I am in an urban/suburban area and see few rabbits. I did see one in the yard, back in March but to tell you the truth, I've only noticed it eating the clover in the lawn. We have a dog that chases squirrels out of the yard, and I haven't seen a rabbit since March, so I suppose rabbits can smell the scent of the dog and maybe that keeps them out?

BTW, does your screen name represent the rose 'Ispahan'?

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

PM-a good rule of thumb for the climate in places in the middle of the country is to imagine a big finger of cold coming down out of Canada through the middle of the country in winter. So there are frosts in Texas at times. So in general it's coldest in the Dakotas and Minnesota in winter, you can think of it like half of a target. Then it gets warmer and warmer as you go in any direction from there. I think it's warmer on the coasts with the ocean moderating the temps . There are pockets of moderating temps around the Great Lakes as well, like ispahan was saying.

We are having some drought, but it has been cold and rainy this spring and summer so it has eased off some. The ranchers were all having a party because they didn't have to sell off their cows since there was a good hay crop this year. It's bad because if you do have to sell, so does everyone else and you don't get much for them. So it really is hard on folks.

But I guess we won't starve, we will all get fat on perennial-fed bunnies!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

That is such a sad situation to have self perpetuating drought conditions over so much of the country and the fires further west are just stunning to contemplate when you see it on the news. I'm glad to hear you've had a little more rain this year. We can usually count on a string of hurricanes coming up the coast for fall rains to relieve summer drought, but so far this year, we're not hearing about any significant ones developing. I can't imagine trying to make a living in Agriculture with these climate changes, it has to be very scary.

You're right ASIAPromise, Bunnies just could be part of a solution....they multiply so fast! ;-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Ispahan, I'm sorry your thread has gone more off topic than on, so I googled it and found this article. Hope that helps....

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants that Bunnies Won't Eat

• paul_
    10 years ago

"Are any plants really immune to rabbit destruction? "

A whomping willow .... {{gwi:272642}}

• DYH
    10 years ago

I have serious rabbit issues, so I use (successfully and with minimal trouble) the I MUST GARDEN rabbit repellent. It is plant-based and the smell is fine. I spritz my flowers when they emerge and the repellent lasts at least a month and I reapply. Given the cost of plants and missed seasons of enjoyment if blooms are eaten, I find this repellent to be preferable to anything else I've tried. It doesn't wash off in heavy rain. I buy it locally since it's made here in Chapel Hill, but you can order it online.

Hope this helps,
    Cameron

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Indoor/outdoor cats are the real answers to squirrels, rabbits, mice and other little munchers. We live in the country so we currently have 7 cats (all neutered) that come in regularly for lap time and to check out the basement for mice. They don't sleep indoors at night except in really brutal winter weather.

We no longer have any problems with little varmints damaging plants. Even the moles seem happy to stay out of the gardens. Our two labs take care of those that do.