Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

August Pics

miclino
11 years ago

Here are some of mine, would love to see some others pics. Not strictly perenials but here it is anyway

Entrance with coleus

{{gwi:272687}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Eupatorium pink frost, coreopsis showstopper and Veronica royal candles plus faded echinacea pow wow

{{gwi:272688}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Sedum dazzleberry, Sedum autumn charm, Gaillardia apricot

{{gwi:272689}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

{{gwi:272690}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Sedum lineare denim

{{gwi:272691}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Agastache heatwave, Blue juniper and purple fountain grass plus dahlias

{{gwi:272692}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Agastache heatwave closup

{{gwi:272693}}
By miclino at 2012-09-01

Comments (14)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I love your colues. If I had more time it would probably be my next obsession. Do you keep them in pots?

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I put them in the ground. I amend the soil in spring and plant. Water regularly and once established hardly need any care. They are in part shade. I try different varieties every year, I'll try dig out some old pics.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

Beautiful color and texture combination! I love all of them and got a few new ideas from looking at yours.

The Agastache, Blue juniper and purple fountain grass combo is really striking. How old are they? Do you need to divide Agastache from time to time?

Thanks for sharing.
    Vivian

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

Love your coleus collection. Just Stunning. And your agastache is marvelous. Love the color combo you have with the fountain grass and juniper.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fountain grass is annual but grows like a weed once its established. The juniper and agastache were planted last season. The agastache was supposed to be 3ft tall but is atleast 5 ft tall and non stop bloomer once it gets going. I might actually have to move it elsewhere though as its too big and I don't want to crowd the juniper. I have no other space though unless I expand beds. Looking for a smaller agastache as I expect the Juniper to get much bigger.

Here is an older pic of the coleus from last year.
    {{gwi:272694}}
    By miclino at 2011-10-17

{{gwi:272695}}
    By miclino at 2012-09-01

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Very nice! I'm always amazed at how good some gardens look at this time of year. I don't like to do much once it gets hot so mine yard is nowhere near as neat looking as yours. Good job! Also, love your walkway.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

I am not sure why it has taken me so long to really come around but is it possible not to like coleus? That first picture shows an outstanding combination of these plants.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Rouge , I discovered coleus only last year. It was a deep vibrant chartreuse with deep cool neon red combination. It was absolutely breathtaking. I changed the route to come home to walk by it.

11 years ago

I have vowed starting 2013 to no longer plant any more bedding Impatiens (walleriana) due to 'downy mildew'. So I am hoping that I can use coleus instead. Are there coleus that are low growing and compact?

(Sorry miclino I don't mean to hijack your thread but here is a picture I took this morning of one coleus plant "Dipt in Wine" in a planter located at the back edge of our yard.)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I notice the red and blackish coleus by your entrance mirror the shades of brick - great visual effect there.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually the black and bright green are sweet potato vine in pots. The rest are coleus in the ground.

There are shorter coleus, but to be honest, the newer bigger ones have the better colors, in addition, they are more sun tolerant. The problem is its difficult to predict how big they will get. The tags give size range of 12-36 inches and I can believe, some take off and others stay short and floppy. This causes problems when you haven't situated them properly.

I'm also done with impatiens. No more, Im using begonias for the first time and will do more of that next year.

The Dahlias are fantastic but the spent flowerheads look like globs of giant bird poop........

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

There are some trailing coleus as well if you want to use them. Trailing Plum, Chocolate Drop, Strawberry Drop? and a couple others that I can't think of right now. Probably others as well. The Wizard series of coleus stay shorter but they also begin to bloom sooner and if you don't continually deadhead them they go downhill quickly. I've also started using coleus in the ground the past three years though I've been using them in pots for quite a long time now. Absolutely love them.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes you do have to keep them deadheaded but its not hard.

11 years ago

I've also started using coleus in the ground the past three years though I've been using them in pots for quite a long time now.

That is my plan for 2013. Goodbye 'busy lizzie'!