Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

Early fall color

I know rose is not typically a subject for fall color. But Here is my pink double knockout rose today. And it has been like this since early May. I actully made a comment to my husband that I wish the color would change to something else as I have been looking at this hot pink for the last 5 months. But I would not trade it for anything else. It is so reliable and care free. Of course it is not the typical (or real) rose for the real "rose grower". But it works for me.

{{gwi:272793}}

Would love to see your fall colors!.

Vivian

Comments (37)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Great picture Vivian.

And I am experiencing similarly i.e. my roses have looked so good this September. The cooler temperatures and some rain has done them so much good.

• finchelover
    11 years ago

No,pictures but mine are also so beautiful right now and trees are turning we already have the reds,oranges and yellows. I love the Fall so I hope it stays for awhile
    We may have a deep freeze come this weekend, I hope not. I guess I shouldn't worry I will be in N.M this weekend I hope there is some Fall coloring down there

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Re the trees:

Driving by Huntsville, Ontario, last Friday.
    About a week before the colours are at their peak there.

I wasn't the driver!

11 years ago

Now those are incredible colours 'Sunny'. It is my opinion that September and October can be the best 2 months for weather for central and southern Ontario.

11 years ago

Not that this picture is an example of great fall colours but I post it as it is a lilac...you know one of those "Bloomerangs". This one I think is in its 4th season and after the heavy bloom of early spring (like all lilacs) it gives a short re-bloom about once a month. (This particular specimen isnt as big as it should be as each season I need to selectively trim it to have it 'fit' into this too small space I had planted it originally).

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

This Tiger Eye sumac is one of my favorite for fall color as well as all season. Bright chartreuse all summer turning to gold and red in fall.

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Should have posted this picture first. This is summer color.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Fall color is just starting here in SW PA. This is the back side of my front yard island bed

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

The grass in Iowa looks quite green; in Pennsylvania, lush. It seems that fall rains have helped. I like the Tiger Eye sumac with its intricate symmetry, both summer and fall.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing these beautiful fall colors, and so colorful.

Rouge 21, That Lilac is so nice and it has been on my wish list for a couple years but never got the courage to do it due to some of online reviews about the reblooms not really good. But even with short re-blooms, it is still very nice. I miss the fragrant smell of the Lilac in the spring. I only have the regular ones so 2-3 weeks bloom. I also start to see them in Home Depot this spring so make it easier to get it next year. Now my wish list is getting longer.....

Wagonwheel, What is that yellow flower? Is it black eyed susan? Tiger Eye sumac, I do not have much knowledge of, but the color is so beautiful in the summer and fall. So it is on my research list.

Gazania, Your garden is so nicely structued, height, texture, and color. Soon that burning bush will be in its full glory.

Not to change the subject, here are some other kind of fall color (not the best picture, taken last night in the dark):

Endless Summer Hydrangea and Heachera Obsidian
    {{gwi:272796}}

And the good and old mums. I will have to post a correction in another thread where I claim that my yellow mums will eventually be yellow again even if they started with maroon colored buds. This has been the case for the last 4 years, until this year. One of the mums never changed back to yellow. Here they are. again, taken at night,
    {{gwi:272797}}

11 years ago

I love those 'mums' Vivian. For how many seasons have they been in the ground?

11 years ago

wagonwheel your 'sumac' in summer is a very nice looking plant. The somewhat horizontal branches, its distinctive narrow cut leaf and light colour foliage makes for a sumac which looks good all year. Up till now I only appreciated 'sumacs' in the fall.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Love that sumac, wagonwheel. I have a great place for one and next spring I will be on the hunt. Also, roses. I am seeing around my town many in full bloom. They sure add to all the beauty of fall. Have to try them again. Newer varieties are so pretty and have less problems with diseases.

Vivian, here is the front side of that island bed, taken 3 days before the above pic.

{{gwi:272798}}

And now from the other end

{{gwi:230124}}

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Vivian, the yellow flowers are blackeyed susans (Rudbeckia Goldstrum. I would say the sumac gets the most comments from visitors. It is not invasive as the common green sumac you see along the roadways. I have had a couple of "babies" sprout around the trunk. Left one pulled the other out. It tends to have an irregular shape so I left the one to fill in space. I love the mums in the fall and the knockout roses just keep going and going.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rouge, I had these mums for 5 years. They are not invasive and stay in reasonable size. I pinch them a couple times in May and June. I have not had the need to divide them. They are Yoder mums.

Gazania, Thanks for the pictures. In our Michigan house, we lost our big Ash tree in the front yard this year. I am planning an island. Your pictures gave me some very good ideas (hope they are not copy righted::). Since we spend most of time in Chicago area, so I need a garden that is beautiful but relatively care free. And I may just have found the right plan. Thanks for sharing. The catmints and Sedum go very nicely with the ground cover. What is the name of the dark tall tree? Do you need to trim it to contain the size? Our island is smaller. The dark color would go very nicely with the Tiger Eye Sumac.

Wagonwheel, Thanks for the information. Black eyed susan adds so much life and color to the garden. I have a few of them as well (and the shorter version). Actually I started with one plant 7 years ago, and let it grow, now I have several of them.

Sunny, Trees here started to show fall color here in Midwest as well. Now I do not even complain getting stuck in the traffic as this gives me time to enjoy the various fall colors along the parkway.

Vivian

11 years ago

Thanks Vivian. I do know mums stay put and I have two of my own but one ('matchstick'), even with a couple of pinch backs was too long and lanky and I attribute that to having not enough sun. So I moved it a couple of weeks ago. I know this probably wasnt the best time to do it but I had other planting plans that hinged on this move.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Vivian, that 'dark' in my pic is Wegela 'wine and roses'. It does require cutting back after bloom in late June or July to keep it tidy.

Now about the ground cover. It is Geranium 'Biokovo'. I love this plant. Very clean attractive foliage. It is evergreen, slowly expands to fill in around other plants without choking. The bloom is pretty, but short lived in late spring, but the leaves are a nice backdrop for everything else in the bed. I have both the white and pink variety. Does full sun or part shade equally well. Great plant!

11 years ago

Took these shots just an hour ago:

First year "Tie Dye" clematis giving some blooms in October (roses in the background):

{{gwi:272800}}

"Corydalis" Lutea bordered by annual begonias:

{{gwi:272801}}

"Quick Fire" Hydrangea with a few "Polish Spirit" clematis flowers in the background (QF has been covered in blooms since June...it is a grreat hydrangea in my opinion):

{{gwi:272802}}

I know "Max Frei" is a very traditional (boring?) hardy geranium but I love it. It has profuse blooms in the spring, a very compact tidy habit all summer and gives some more blooms in October.

{{gwi:272803}}

And finally a plant I keep raving about and have posted pics of it too many time on GW but it is an outstanding fall flowering plant with wonderful coloured foliage. Here is a picture from today of "Golden Arrow" persicaria:

{{gwi:272804}}

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

This is a picture of my husband's fall garden (his corn field). Taken at sunrise this morning. Change in weather today-temps dropping.

• ginnier
    11 years ago

Iowa is only 60 mi. or so from me!! I saw that corn crib behind your beautiful sumac and wondered if you might be a "farm girl"too!!! Now I want a sumac too, how old is yours...slow grower?
    Just got our home beans done, rained out today, will probably go to corn tomorrow...expecting 50's tomorrow!

• gardenecstasy
    11 years ago

A lot of talk about what appears to be mostly tigers eye sumac here. Does anyone know if this cultivar is edible(I didn't find an answer when I googled it)?

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Ginnier, Rain? What's that? Ha! Actually we did have a cloud go over today. The beans are out here and surprisingly yielded very good considering the drought. Quite a range of bushels from one area of field to the next. We live on a Heritage Farm (150 years in same family). My husbands family homesteaded it in the 1860's. My sumac is probably 4-5 years old. Pretty moderate grower.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

The asters are 'Alma Poetschke' and 'Bluebird'.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Be prepared for suckers with the tiger eyes sumac, it will spread. Love the pictures, those asters look great.
    Here's my colchicum patch right now, I should move them out of the veggie garden and put them somewhere a little nicer.

11 years ago

So unique those 'naked' flowers kato_b. Thanks for that picture.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Lovely showing, Kato.

Inspires me to try again with colchicum.

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

SunnyBorders, that display is gorgeous!

Not many things blooming here anymore - mostly roses and hydrangeas with a few asters and geraniums thrown in there.
    {{gwi:272805}}
    The ES hydrangea is continuously confused on what color it should be due to being planted in alkaline soil under a pine tree.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Karolina, the confused hydrangea is very pretty!

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Cutting perennials down, but still colour.
    The white (maroon) flowered aster is calico aster 'Lady in Black'.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

OK, these ARE annuals,
    but the area is too small to rely on perennials.

But it is fall and colour!

11 years ago

And my first year miniature BB ("Flutterby Blue") is still going strong as of October 7:

{{gwi:251906}}

11 years ago

"Little Goldstar" going on 8 weeks of blooms.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

That really looks like 'Goldsturm', Rouge.
    As said, will follow 'Little Goldstar' up.

Is the pink/red one a Knautia? If so, which?
    Used to use the species, Knautia macedonica, but if it liked the location, it seeded like crazy.

11 years ago

I like it much better than my 'Goldsturm' Sunny.

For this first year having 2 LGS I have had no black spot or any other foliage issue as I often did with G.

Maybe this was a fluke but LGS began flowering (much) earlier than I have experienced with G.

I am taking it at face value that LGS will not spread nor grow as tall as G (that is how it is advertised).

11 years ago

'Sunny', I think the Knautia you see is a 'Mars Midget'....too close to the rudbeckia on the one side and just out of the picture on the other side is a towering 'Becky' Shasta Daisy which hogs the sun during the prime growing season. That Knautia will not flourish :(.

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

It was raining earlier today and things just seemed to 'glow'. Sumac is losing leaves helped by wind and rain. We had 5" last Sat/Sun. More than we had all total during summer. Great for going into winter. To left of sumac is ballon flower whose leaves turn redish gold. The Autumn Joy sedum has turned bronze and flopped. In front of that is a sedge and right front is Japanese blood grass.

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Excuse me for second post but haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures. This is birchleaf spirea. It is green all spring and summer with white flowers in spring. But fall it when it put on its show turning shades of gold, red and purple. Picture looks a little washed out.