Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokey28777

My Wal-mart find today

smokey28777
9 years ago

Today when I went for my weekly grocery shopping at Walmart I saw a truck unloading these big pots of coneflowers. There were 4 colors in each pot, Red, orange, yellow and pink. I know theyre probably not good but I couldn't resist they looked so healthy and are loaded with bloom. Can I separate them and put them in different parts of my garden? Im a new garderner. Comments and advice is wanted. Oh , I paid $12.98 for the pot.

Comments (8)

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Absolutely you can separate them. You might even be able to get two plants out of each color...depending on how big the clumps are. I always try to find pots with multiple plants or large clumps that I can divide. I'm a thrifty shopper ;0)

Have fun!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Not sure where you're located but generally once August is behind you it's okay to plant perennials since the hottest weather should be finished. Echinacea/coneflower are pretty tough perennials. Plant them and give them plenty of water, be patient and also give them plenty of time to get established in your garden beds then sit back and enjoy the show.

• debbiecz3
    9 years ago

I'm assuming these are the new seed strain echinacea Cheyenne Spirit that flower in the different colors on a single plant. I might be inclined not to divide them in their first year. If that is what you have they seem to have been given a good report as far as hardiness, etc. I saw pots of them at Home Depot and they are very attractive indeed. Didn't pick any up for lack of room!

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Debbie she is in z10 by the looks of it. I understand being in your zone it might be iffy. IMO, Hers should do just fine..,.,,

• gringo
    9 years ago

I would agree that if it is 'Cheyenne Spirit' & therefore seed grown, it may be easier to use a twist tie, or somehow tag each color, to make separating each individual color, easier, as each color, is most likely each a different plant.
    In other words, they aren't a single plant, flowering in different colors, but a seed grown variety that produces seedlings in a variety of colors.
    Although, being so far south, you may want to wait until at least the flower stalks are starting to turn brown, before attempting to separate them, so they don't go into shock. I have no idea when they'd go 'dormant' in your zone, except maybe by November or December?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i would NEVER divide a plant in flower ...

unless i was prepared to give up flowering for the rest of the season ...

under this logic ... i would enjoy the show ... and divide when the blooming goes into decline ... and i was tired of looking at it.. in its ratty form ...

and i see no reason why it could not be divided in early spring ...

it would be nice to know where OP is ...

ken

• gringo
    9 years ago

I should have asked, if you were able to easily remove all four colors from the pot, or if the roots had become entwined & not readily separated & the entire pot of soil mix, came out as one mass, or with a light hosing, readily falls apart.... If you plant them all together, the longer you wait, the more difficult they may become, to separate.

Division, is another matter & involves dividing each individual separately colored plant & Echinacea can take some time, to recover, from that procedure.

For instance, I have had 'Milkshake' , 'Kim's Red Knee High' & both colors of 'Pow Wow' for several years now & never divided any of them. They look so much better as a rounded mass, than if I had a few flowers on a couple stalks, located in various places....

• gringo
    9 years ago

I decided to check out 'Cheyenne Spirit', as afterall, it did get Fleuroselect & AAS, award... Produced by Kieft, the germination rate was rated at about 70%. Also, with a 'Utilty Patent', whatever that means...Rights to its production name, for the next 20 years, for the years of time, work, efforts, care & money, that went into it?

It appears the producer had originally started it, as a cross between 'Magnus' & 'Knee High' & then more complex breeding after that, over quite a few years (over ten?), to come up with stable uniform plants in a variety of about 7 different colors.
    At a cost of about $5. for 15 seeds (not to mention shipping costs), it may be easier to buy another pot of your favorite colors, if you really like it !
    I did not see if it is actually an F1 hybrid, but if so, then any seeds you collect, may not be quite like the named variety, in the size & series of colors of what you have now.
    If I liked it that much, I'd buy another pot full, as opposed to trying to chill (vernalize the sown seeds in the fridge) & then have to wait, until next year, to see which colors you get. For those reasons, I would be opposed to buying & sowing seeds, not knowing what colors appear.
    Instead, since they are locally available, I would go back, selecting a pot of four more, in colors more to your liking & preference, separately plant them & have fairly nice sized plants,& a great looking collection, next year...