Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otnorot

I want to brag.

otnorot
11 years ago

I'm 86 in two days and getting ready to give up my garden and move into an apartment soon and its breaking my heart.I would like to show you my crosses Of Rudbeckia's.I'm proud of my hybrids.I've had my own garden for 80 years.

{{gwi:272965}}

{{gwi:272966}}

{{gwi:272968}}

{{gwi:272970}}

{{gwi:272973}}

{{gwi:272974}}

{{gwi:272976}}

{{gwi:272978}}

Comments (18)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

These are outstanding pictures. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to leave one's pride and joy garden. But I do hope you will continue share your obvious experience to GW.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

What a beautiful job, otnorot.

Gardening is life long learning.
    Rouge's right.
    I hope your valuable experience becomes valuable advice to others.

• miclino
    11 years ago

fantastic pics. Maybe you can still do some gardening at a community garden or something like that.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

What wonderful flowers! Are rudbeckia hard to breed? How do you do that? (You don't have to answer in specific, but I just think it's awfully neat.)

I like the 4th photo and the 2nd to last one. Great flowers - they look so strong and vibrant. Amazing work! Thanks for sharing.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Very pretty, full petaled Rudbeckias. Congratulations on all your years of successful gardening. I can imagine it must be hard to leave your gardens and hope you won't stay heartbroken for long. It's a lot of work to keep up a garden, so maybe part of you can feel a little relief? (I'm trying to think of a good way to look at it :)

Will you have any place to put some potted plants that are special to you? Some people have some amazing container gardens. Smaller scale, but still some plants to enjoy. Good luck with your move!

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Beautiful! My favorites are the first one, fourth, and the last one.
    Have you shared your seeds with anyone?
    I know it must be tough to leave but moving to an apartment will simplify things hopefully and help you stay independent longer. You should splurge and get yourself some big fancy containers if you have a balcony or at least go crazy with new houseplants. I'm sure you deserve it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

listen to me..

you can garden with that camera ... your pix are amazing ... you just make sure you get out to other peoples gardens .. and capture the beauty of such .. with your camera.. [heck.. you could probably take pix in a road median and capture things i would never see.. lol]

and let other people do the heavy lifting and getting dirty ...

never lose the spirit of the garden ...

good luck to you .. and God Bless ....

ken

ps: if you are a member of a local garden club.. perhaps they have a few younger people.. who would take your plants.. and let them live on with love.. and offer to have you over to see the fostered plants ..

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I hope you do find a way to continue to see your gorgeous beauties. Those are fantastic! I wish a grower could propagate them and sell them to the whole US. Then we could all enjoy them. Best wishes in your new home.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Gorgeous.

I hope your apartment has a terrace where you can container garden!

• mytime
    11 years ago

As others have said, your flowers and your photos are stunning. Thank you for sharing. I can totally understand your sadness at leaving your full garden behind, and hope you can find some satisfaction in a smaller or indoor planting.

• brpinson
    11 years ago

Ken is right...you have a photographer's eye and you know enough about horticulture to make your own crosses---you are EXACTLY what gardeners, garden clubs, etc. are looking for...SHARE YOUR TALENT. As a member of a garden club---you ARE the person we are looking for to speak to us about gardening.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Beautiful Rudbeckias! I'm so sorry that you have to give up your garden. I dread the day! Can you do some container gardening?

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous photos. I hope that you can still keep some containers at your apartment at least. I grew some perennials in containers at my apartment (echinacea, heuchera, hosta, etc.) before I was able to get a yard. It's definitely easier than keeping up with a whole yard.
    If not, then I agree with the suggestion to try to stay involved with a garden club or something. I'm sure you have learned a lot over 80 years of gardening and could be a great resource to others!
    Good luck to you in this new phase of life!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Your rudbeckia hybrids are beautiful. After 80 years giving up your garden must be saddening. Great that you have photos to look at to remember the splendor.

When my mother moved to an apartment (in a small community) she asked the landlord if she could have a garden and grew flowers around the building as well as a small vegetable plot that the landlord had prepped for her every spring. Some apartment complexes here in Minneapolis area have plots for their residents.

So many suggestions of ways to continue enjoying gardening.
    May you find one that brings you joy.

• daysquid
    11 years ago

I'm new to gardening and I think what you have created is pure magic. I really hope you share your talents far and wide. Please consider how you could teach others. You have a gift.

• gardenbug
    11 years ago

... and so you should BRAG! They are beautiful. The colors are amazing. I'm sure the new move will be a real adjustment for you. I hope you have a balcony where at least you are able to plant up a few pots. Your rudbeckia hybrids are GORGEOUS! and thank you for sharing them with us.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

One and four are my favs! Can you give out your address after you move so we can divide up these beauties?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Those are BEAUTIFUL!

I'm sorry to hear you will be moving from your garden...I hope you will be able find a way to still enjoy gardening at least on a small scale. Can you dig up the rudbeckias and grow in pots at your new place?