Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Catmint

mary_max
12 years ago

I have walkers low catmint that is in a large area in my back yard. I have a bunch of colorado blue spruce trees and some large shrubs in this area. The catmint is starting to cover a lot of the ground. What I need to know from you folks is if this will be a problem or is it a good thing. I started to jerk it out then I thought maybe it is okay to cover the ground.

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

conifers are trees ... ground cover is not going to hurt an 'established tree' ....

as to whether it is OK to let an invasive herb cover your whole yard.. well ... i guess thats up to you ... [and i am using the term non-scientifically]

mint is mint.. its a nightmare.. cute one day.. then a few years later.. the biggest nightmare you have ever seen ...

most likely.. pulling it up will only encourage more from the underground runners ... when you decide to get rid of it.. roundup would be my best suggestion ...

good luck with whatever you decide. ..

ken

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

The Nepetas (Walkers Low, etc) are not invasive plants. If you cut back your catmint, you'll find the footprint is quite small compared to the sprawl. It will increase its footprint over the years very slowly, as do many other perennials, and is very easy to control.

12 years ago

well lacey.. that is not quite the facts that the OP stated ...

mary said: ... catmint that is in a large area in my back yard ... The catmint is starting to cover a lot of the ground ....

i said.. i was not using the term scientifically.. but it is obvious.. that the catmint is invading her yard ... and if its not from runners ... its seeding very aggressively ...

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

It's not runners, because catmint doesn't run. Some kinds can self seed a fair amount, but they aren't hard to pull up. Whether or not this covering is good or bad depends on how the OP feels about it.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

'mint is mint...' Sorry, Ken, it's not. Catmint and culinary mint are different species and as mad_gallica says they don't behave the same. I'd take Catmint over bare earth anyday.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

It's not a problem at all. When you prune it back you will see it's just the same plant in the same spot. It doesn't seed or spread at all. I let mine do its thing. When it gets too close to other plants, I prune it. It looks good most of the time which is better than so many other plants.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

From what I've read, Nepeta 'Walkers Low' is a sterile hybrid that doesn't produce seed. Propagation is by division or cuttings. It does take up a lot of real estate but as laceyvail pointed out, the base of the plant is relatively small compared to the amount of space it takes up in the garden.

12 years ago

so if the POSTER SAYS ... its taking over her yard.. and says its catmint ....

and you all tell me catmint doesnt spread by seed or runner....

what conclusion can we come to???? wait for it ...

yep.. she doesnt have catmint.. as you guys define it.. and then mary is more within in my comment .... for 'mint is mint' .. rather than a discussion of how catmint is NOT spreading all over her yard ... which brings us back to the problems of relying on common names rather than latin ....

i think mary needs to get an ID on her mint.. before we go much further ...

and if she is talking about catnip ... its horribly invasive on my entire 5 acres.. and i have to kill thousands of seedlings per year ... it is not a ground cover one would want ... IMHO!!!! .. i would prefer bare earth ... heck may as well go for dandelions... over catnip.. in my warped world .... [but not pokeweed .. shudder]

soo what is it she has.. and why are you peeps talking about specific cultivars that are sterile ??? she did NOT claim to have a named variety

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: one can always win an arguement.. if you change the facts in the middle of the debate.. lol ... lets see if catnip is considered invasive.. hmmmmm

• mary_max
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No it is catmint as I bought the seeds several years ago. Apparently not the walkers low as it does have seeds. I just could kick myself for getting rid of the seed package.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I thought you said Walker's Low. If you don't like what you have, trash it and get Walker's Low.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Ken, she did claim to have a named variety. she said she had Walkers Low, which, as comments indicate, doesn not spread either by runners or seed. Hence the comments.

• paul_
    12 years ago

Regular catmint generally spread by seeds -- and it is amazing where those seeds can turn up.

I would take catmint over dirt any day ... but then I actually like dandelions too.
    {{gwi:273018}}

12 years ago

i think gangs of cats.. get together at night.. and spread the seeds all over my 5 acres ...

there is no other solution.. to my quandary ...

bottom line.. if its spreading.. and it pleases you.. all the power to ya ...

otherwise.. get rid of most or all of it ...

thinning the plants to restricted areas is an option ...

ken

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I posted the information about Walkers Low catmint because the OP's first sentence said, "I have walkers low catmint that is in a large area in my back yard." If the reference had been to catmint, I would not have posted the information about WL being a sterile plant.

My own Walkers Low catmint were planted just this year so they have a year or two to prove they can remain within the confines of the area they were given. I shovel pruned Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' and monarda/bee balm that came with growing information stating a height of 28-36". When both grew three times as tall and wide as I'd been told to expect, they were removed from the premises with no return ticket. The remains were destroyed, not composted or recycled.

12 years ago

see.. there is the problem...

i focused on the title .. and you read the actual facts .. lol ...

ken

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County